expected maintenance costs for a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence doesnt prove anything.

Because I'm the only person who has experienced issues with the ecoboost platform, right?

Let me google that for you

Listen, I hope for Fords sake and those who purchase the gen 2, that the turbo issues have been figured out. And that Ford has figured out how to make turbos last in the desert. Seeing as most will end up as street queens (like most gen1s were), I don't see most people running into issues though.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How, then, do you think that anything is ever proven? Where do you think that facts come from? Thin air? Noooo, from a preponderance of anecdotal evidence.

It is inescapable and undeniable that a turbocharger represents additional complexity. Additional complexity invariably means that there is more to fail. Take windows, for example. There's two ways to operate an automobile window - manually with a crank, and electrically with a motor. Which is more complex and which is the more failure prone?

Thank you, @bstoner59.

Just because HIS truck took a shit a few times doesnt prove anything. It doesnt prove turbos or even the EcoBoost platform is going to fail for everyone else. There are outliers to every set of data.

Yes, turbos add some complexity to a system but not much. Same can be said about super chargers but we dont see superchargers flying apart left and right do we?

There are plenty of high performance cars and trucks on the market that use turbos without issue and I do not see an issue with Ford doing the same.

Sure if you dont take care of your truck and dont keep up with preventative maintenance you will see premature turbo/engine failure but the same can be said about any NA motor as well.

Im not going to argue anymore about this because its been said a billion times in every other Gen 2 thread crying about the turbos.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I missed the reference with the driveshaft.

Front end 870? are you referring to a front bumper?

Baby heads, rocks about the size of human baby heads. A term from adventure/enduro motorcycling. Front tires throw a lot of shit rearward. I had a set of BFG T/A KM2 that really hurled the bigger rocks. Took out the shin guards, shock shaft and put a few big dents in the driveshaft, slightly bending it.

Front end, meaning suspension/steering. New upper control arms, lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings, tie rods, front shock rebuild, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings and more that I cannot remember now. I rebuild my own shocks and do my own wrenching, so I save on labor costs.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ZaneMasterX wrote: "Yes, turbos add some complexity to a system but not much."

Thanks for a good laugh.

How complex do you think a turbo system is? The only added parts over an NA motor is some tubing, BOV/recirc, an intercooler, and a turbo. ***** not rocket science by any means.

Dont forget how much better turbo and supercharged motors do at altitude. Raptors make ~275hp at a mile above sea level, I live above 7k. A turbo/supercharged motor is going to loose a hell of a lot less power at altitude than an NA motor is.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How complex do you think a turbo system is? The only added parts over an NA motor is some tubing, BOV/recirc, an intercooler, and a turbo. ***** not rocket science by any means.

Dont forget how much better turbo and supercharged motors do at altitude. Raptors make ~275hp at a mile above sea level, I live above 7k. A turbo/supercharged motor is going to loose a hell of a lot less power at altitude than an NA motor is.
I will give you a small example: I drive a 2016 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost every workday and while the vehicle drives okay for work, it has the worse turbo lag in rush hour driving, you can't do a j turn without a 1 second pause between drive and reverse and another 1 second back to drive, that may not seem like much and it's tolerable for a work vehicle, but if Ford is okay with this in production turbo vehicles, I will personally tell you that Gen 2 raptor owners won't be happy with that in their 50 plus thousand dollar trucks, so saying that, turbo systems will have to be very complex to overcome those obstacles in an off-road performance vehicle or they will be sitting at the dealership waiting for repairs because raptor owners won't put up with that even street queens. Now I know the gen 2 s will hopefully not have these issues, but these are the type of scenarios which make turbos complex.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
So many good things to say about EcoBoost motors...

42df45d31486353ea66d7a77d8ce854f.jpg

I was one of the first people that wanted an EB F150. I signed up for the test drive where Ford would send reps to drive the truck before they were released. If I was able to at the time I would have purchased one but I wasn't going to give up my 54 Raptor for one. Now after reading all of the horror stories and hearing first hand experience from EB owners, I'm glad I didn't. I'd like to think that Ford has worked out all their issues with the EB but if they can't figure things like IWE's, window defroster, 3rd brake light seals, fuse locations etc, etc, etc I'm not going to put too much faith in them that a 450hp+ 3.5 twin turbo engine is going to stand up to the abuse most of the people I know would put on it.

I'm a Ford guy. I have 5 of them in my possession right now. My companies have nothing but Ford vehicles. I own a nice little chunk of Ford stock. I want them to do well but I'm not so blind to my love of Ford products that I don't see some glaring issues on the horizon. A high output V6 TT engine based off an unreliable platform for a truck that's designed to go offroad is a glaring issue.

Ford should send me one to drive and test so I can give you unbiased feedback. I'd sacrifice my time to help you guys

:stoner: :specialed:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk