expected maintenance costs for a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Egoboost3.5

Reaction score
What are the maintenance costs associated with owning a Raptor vs a regular truck? The only thing I know that is different is having to send the shocks to be rebuild every so many miles. Will there be anything else? Perhaps something with the turbos or...?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the maintenance costs associated with owning a Raptor vs a regular truck? The only thing I know that is different is having to send the shocks to be rebuild every so many miles. Will there be anything else? Perhaps something with the turbos or...?
Honestly, there isn't much more to the raptor than the other f150s beside the shocks and electronics, so I wouldn't expect there to be any increased maintenance costs. Everything will be under warranty so not to worry, if you are worried, get extended warranty.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll have to replace the turbos when they fail. About a $2,200 job.

If they fail. Turbos can last a very long time without issue and in most cases its over 100k miles but I guess that doesnt fit your narrative of the new truck.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos should hold up for a good time but after the powertrain warranty is up I would dump it in a heartbeat. I'm curious to see how these trucks hold up and how many owners hit 150k miles and still keep going. Maybe you should go to the ecoboost forum and see what owners are experiencing there

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they fail. Turbos can last a very long time without issue and in most cases its over 100k miles but I guess that doesnt fit your narrative of the new truck.

Doesn't fit my narrative because I've owned an ecoboost platinum and it was horrendous. Had 3 turbo failures in the first 50k miles and it never saw a speck of off-roading.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are asking if normal maintenance costs are more that a regular F150, I'd say no. It is just a glorified F150, same engine, transmission, transfer case and differentials (more or less).

If you drive it like a Raptor likes to be driven, you might go through;

~four or more tires per year, at $350 a piece
~one to two sets of brake pads per year, at $100+ for four pad sets
~four brake rotors every couple of years, at $400
~one+ rear shock shaft guard per year, at $100+ (at least there will be only one exposed now)
~one rear shock shaft the fifth year, $500 new shock or $250 rebuild+shaft (because a baby head got through the shin guard)
~three extra oil changes per year, at $75+ each (because a Raptor is so ******* fun to drive)
~five to six extra air filters per year, at $15 each
~about two IWE's per year, at $65 each
~one driveshaft the third year, at $350 (because of flying baby heads)
~u-joints as needed, at $20 each (been through six or eight, I think)
~rebuild shocks every couple years, at $450+
~rebuild the front end at six years, $870
~plan on $1000-$65,000 in unplanned/unwarranteed/uninsurable damage/breakage every so often
~unspeakable fines and fees to the state (unless you know your local JP really well)

This (most likely incomplete) list is compiled from my training and experience with my 2010 Raptor. Yes, I know isn't a fancy new 2017, but it is a Raptor. I expect my new one to cost about the same as this one in the long run. These items are over and above, what I consider, "normal" maintenance costs.

If your idea of rough driving is pulling it onto a dirt lot on the weekend when the construction crew isn't gonna laugh at you, your maintenance costs will be significantly less. Mall crawlers will always cost less to operate.

Last edited:

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't fit my narrative because I've owned an ecoboost platinum and it was horrendous. Had 3 turbo failures in the first 50k miles and it never saw a speck of off-roading.

Not the same motor so hopefully any issues have been addressed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquez47