Exhaust modification...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I liked the sound of my Corsa extreme on my gen2 better than the oem gen3 exhaust (even in baja mode). It's just not loud enough for me unless I'm bouncing off the rev limiter constantly. I can't believe the lack of aftermarket exhaust support (I guess they are all scared of the active dampers) and I in no way shape or form believe Magnaflow's system warrants the 4k price tag.

So my lightbulb idea...

As seen in the picture of the Magnaflow exhaust, the special sauce seems to be the new dampers, but other than opening and closing like the oem ones I believe they really aren't that different, and the rest of the system is straight piped (I wouldn't use the resonators). So I am going to a local muffler shop to see if we can surgically remove (sawzall) the oem active valves from my oem exhaust and weld in a straight pipe in place of the muffler in a similar shape to the Magnaflow unit.

Or the guy selling his used Magnaflow system will PM me back and I'll just buy his...

Let me know if anyone has done anything similar or if I'm just a few short of a full deck.

Attachments

• IMG_7528.jpg
    IMG_7528.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 33

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Can you guys not just dummy the valves to stay open? Or are they that restrictive that it warrants removal? I have my live valves in my R (VW lol) hooked up with dead current things to keep it from throwing codes but there are open all the time.

Also, Hilarious name/image @DougDimmadome owner of the famous dimsdale dimmadome.

OP
OP
Tin Can Rap

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you guys not just dummy the valves to stay open? Or are they that restrictive that it warrants removal? I have my live valves in my R (VW lol) hooked up with dead current things to keep it from throwing codes but there are open all the time.

Also, Hilarious name/image @DougDimmadome owner of the famous dimsdale dimmadome.
Pressing the full open button isn't my problem; full open isn't loud enough for me in the oem system.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Pressing the full open button isn't my problem; full open isn't loud enough for me in the oem system.
I see, interesting that removing these valves would make that much of a difference. Looking forward to the result.

OP
OP
Tin Can Rap

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valves are staying; I am removing the oem muffler in lue of a straight pipes similar to what the Magnaflow system does minus the 4k price tag. My guy will be around $400 bucks.

8250_RPM

Reaction score
I would hardly call the exhaust on these Raptors ‘loud’…in any setting. OP, please share the results when completed. I think you’re on the right track.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want it louder than baja mode? I won't be any help to you here.... I already think my neighbors hate me when I remote start the truck at 5:30 every morning...
When my kids were very young we had a guy with an exhaust modified Camero that would roll through the neighborhood, it was LOUD. He would routinely wake up my "just fell asleep infant". Pretty sure he was the only guy that thought his loud car was cool. Not sure why anyone would want a full time louder than baja mode Raptor. Its a freaking V6. It will NEVER sound good.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my kids were very young we had a guy with an exhaust modified Camero that would roll through the neighborhood, it was LOUD. He would routinely wake up my "just fell asleep infant". Pretty sure he was the only guy that thought his loud car was cool. Not sure why anyone would want a full time louder than baja mode Raptor. Its a freaking V6. It will NEVER sound good.
When I was in my late teens early 20s I had a long tube straight piped mustang. It was obnoxiously loud.

I am so glad I grew out of that