Exhaust budget buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going budget on exhaust is fine but Whatever you doDon’t put any CR steel 400 series stainless or aluminized steel in place of stock. 304 stainless. Period.

I believe the stock exhaust system is 409 stainless because it is magnetic.

CVF-Jason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to sound like a I dont know what im talking about, but i dont lol. Can you explain why? Still learning as I go. Thanks in advance!

Aluminized steel is an invention of recent years for manufacturers to save some bucks. The process involves taking standard-grade (lower-grade) steel and coating it in aluminum. It corrodes faster, and is of lower quality. It also rusts from the inside-out, so it's tough to find a rusting spot until it's too late.

t304 and t409 are both stainless steels, but t409 is more susceptible to corrosion of the two (thus why t304 is the optimal choice).

There is no significant performance advantage to either t304 or t409, it's more about longevity and durability of the products you buy.

For us, it's t304 or bust!

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a cheap muffler delete with a cross pipe. Can't remember which one, but no matter what you do, these trucks sound like crap. At least I can hear the exhaust now though. I also liked the stock tailpipes, and since no matter what you spend you are not doing much for performance or sound it didn't make sense to me to spend much on the exhaust.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are on a budget watch the local classifieds.
I got a magnaflow catback new in the box for 500$

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a Corsa cat-back for my Gen 1, its 304 stainless. Auto anything is running a rebate on Corsa systems right now.

Poidog

Reaction score
Aluminized steel is an invention of recent years for manufacturers to save some bucks. The process involves taking standard-grade (lower-grade) steel and coating it in aluminum. It corrodes faster, and is of lower quality. It also rusts from the inside-out, so it's tough to find a rusting spot until it's too late.

t304 and t409 are both stainless steels, but t409 is more susceptible to corrosion of the two (thus why t304 is the optimal choice).

There is no significant performance advantage to either t304 or t409, it's more about longevity and durability of the products you buy.

For us, it's t304 or bust!

AH I see now. Thanks for the insight. Just made me change my mind about buying that magnaflow pipe lol.