Exaust Crackles/backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagneticScrew

Reaction score
I just crossed 600 miles on my 2024, and for now I do a lot of non-residential area driving with the exhaust set to Baja. Initially, I was getting nice deceleration burbles reminiscent of turbo'd DSG cars I had in my younger years. In the past 100 miles or so, I am getting a gunshot on deceleration in 3rd and 2nd a little more than 50% of the time. Provided it causes no harm to the cats, I love it. There was a time where I would have loved to "tune" those pops in. Now I am a little more cognizant of when to be a jack wagon and when not to be, so quiet mode it is when I creep into my neighborhood. To OP's concern, I don't have any have any specific knowledge to verify that nothing is wrong, but having been in almost nothing but turbo vehicles for the past 17 years...what you are experiencing is very similar to what I experienced in every one of them after opening up the exhaust. I too can still hear burbles in pops in the quieter modes, but they are obviously better muffled. You should be good to go; just run the exhaust mode that suits you.

Last edited:

cwh

Reaction score
Anyone brought it up to a dealer and figured out the issue? Solution? Just test drove one and did the same thing.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for those of you with higher mileage, have you noticed your truck getting louder? i'm around 20k miles and in the last few months its seemed louder on cold start. my wife has made some comments too so its not just me

MagneticScrew

Reaction score
for those of you with higher mileage, have you noticed your truck getting louder? i'm around 20k miles and in the last few months its seemed louder on cold start. my wife has made some comments too so its not just me
In terms of loud cold start, make sure you have enabled quiet start. It does make a huge difference. Prior to enabling, I had the choice of a cold start with the garage door closed and p!ssing of my wife, or cold start with the garage door open and p!ssing of the neighbors across the street. The quiet start makes a noticeable difference.

Anyone brought it up to a dealer and figured out the issue? Solution? Just test drove one and did the same thing.
I've added another 600 miles since my post above on May 14th. I am definitely louder since then, but I am happy about it. In Baja exhaust mode, a pop during coasting deceleration from 3k down to 2k in 3rd and 2nd gears is becoming more common. If I do not get a pop, I do get very nice sounding burbles. It doesn't seem like anything is wrong; these sounds are the reason I would open up the exhaust on turbo'd vehicles when I was younger. The quiet and normal/standard mode seem to muffle these noises entirely.

MFouts

Reaction score
Just turned 2k miles and it seems the burbling/backfire has reduced some in all modes. Haven't noticed startups getting much louder although it depends on where I am parked, the garage seems loud and when the windows are open seems a bit louder.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In terms of loud cold start, make sure you have enabled quiet start. It does make a huge difference. Prior to enabling, I had the choice of a cold start with the garage door closed and p!ssing of my wife, or cold start with the garage door open and p!ssing of the neighbors across the street. The quiet start makes a noticeable difference.

I've added another 600 miles since my post above on May 14th. I am definitely louder since then, but I am happy about it. In Baja exhaust mode, a pop during coasting deceleration from 3k down to 2k in 3rd and 2nd gears is becoming more common. If I do not get a pop, I do get very nice sounding burbles. It doesn't seem like anything is wrong; these sounds are the reason I would open up the exhaust on turbo'd vehicles when I was younger. The quiet and normal/standard mode seem to muffle these noises entirely.
my loud cold start is now louder. aint nobody got time for quiet start