Engine Oil Grade Discrepancy Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, So my company reads service manuals for a living. The Supplement I received when I got my 2019 says full synthetic is the requirement. The local dealer just put it SEMI Synthetic and when I questioned it sent me a copy of the service manual specifications saying semi is the spec from Ford...I see this all the time in the powersports industry, so I think there is something wrong in the service manual. Usually we find supplements to be more correct than the manual

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen anything except semi synthetic specified.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, So my company reads service manuals for a living. The Supplement I received when I got my 2019 says full synthetic is the requirement. The local dealer just put it SEMI Synthetic and when I questioned it sent me a copy of the service manual specifications saying semi is the spec from Ford...I see this all the time in the powersports industry, so I think there is something wrong in the service manual. Usually we find supplements to be more correct than the manual

I've only seen reference to semi. Do you all wear shirts that say, "RTFSM"?

OP
OP
C

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only seen reference to semi. Do you all wear shirts that say, "RTFSM"?
LOL No my company is www.ServiceManagerpro.com and we publish technical specifications for Powersports Vehicles, we read service and owners manuals all day long.. You would be surprised how many times we see Service Manuals wrong and Owners Manuals correct and vice versa.... It's incredibly common. We even see discrepancies in the manual itself. There are many times where the torque values for a bolt are different depending on the section of the manual you are reading. Polaris and Harley manuals are really bad about that.. So it would not surprise me that the Supplement for the Raptor would be correct and the service manual incorrect.. The way service manuals are made,many times they use the same file for one vehicle type , say Pick up truck or even F150. Then they just change some images and change a few data points and move on. If the data publisher is making the manual and someone says all F150's take SEMI then they may not be technical enough to ask the question... It's very rare that a manufacturer comes out with a supplement and that supplement is wrong. That I have never seen... usually the supplement comes out of the specialty equipment side of the OEM and then it does not get reported back to the publishing department to make the change...

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed oil at 2,000 miles with a full water based synthetic. It’s more expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Canola oil, more Eco friendly plus the smell of french fries is amazing!

I had my first oil change done at the dealership and they used a Motorcraft filter and the oil is listed on the work order as SUNOCOSNGF5 I`m not sure what that means, but I assume it is what the manual calls for?? I guess Motorcraft oil is made by Sunoco?

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive run full synthetic oil since day 1. Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-30.

Same for me. Of course, since I work for Shell and me manufacture that Pennzoil product, it has to be good! I've been to the plant where it's made (from natural gas). You can do some strange things with hydrocarbon molecules if you make it a priority!