Engine is shot - Built 3.5 or V8 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to a trans shop, tell what you’re planning on doing and go from there. Could be as easy as cleaning up the valve body with a more stout torque converter to a full on rebuild.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the choice I’d go with the V-8. This turbo experience has been cool, but I am disappointed with the inherent flaws of the power train. My ‘04 Expedition is still on the road. It’s 5.4 V-8 has over 306k miles (the daughter drives it now, so not exactly sure).

I did my best to maintain it. Unfortunately, she’s not that type of person. Hopefully, it’ll last her until she can get something on her own.

Anyway, that’s the thing about the V-8’s… they are awesome. Don’t get me wrong; my EcoBoost has been fun. But, it’s got some dumb stuff about it that makes no sense. It’s like Ford had no idea there were turbo charged engines around that experienced these issues, and they just went with it. And in going with that idea took nothing about the consumer in consideration. Guess it was just all about them conforming to the new fuel mileage guidelines. Which I understand, but come on, Ford.

Sorry about the rant… do the bigger motor!!! I hope my Expedition doesn’t see this post… ‍SMH

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't you heard? Big rigs have turbos and they go 1 million miles. Therefore....

I agree turbos are fun and I own two EB powered vehicles- but I don't expect them to go more than 150K or so before repairs are needed to the turbo system.

If it were mine, I'll fix it with a rebuilt engine from Jasper and trade it in. Theres no way I'd try to engine swap anything modern.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think ecoboost engine are good. IMO. Are there better engines out there, yes. I think the exobooost requires oil changes more often like 3k max if you want them to last.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If I had the choice I’d go with the V-8. This turbo experience has been cool, but I am disappointed with the inherent flaws of the power train. My ‘04 Expedition is still on the road. It’s 5.4 V-8 has over 306k miles (the daughter drives it now, so not exactly sure).
The thing is, you do have a choice now. Ford has forced induction HO V6 and V8 Raptors.

Anyway, that’s the thing about the V-8’s… they are awesome. Don’t get me wrong; my EcoBoost has been fun. But, it’s got some dumb stuff about it that makes no sense. It’s like Ford had no idea there were turbo charged engines around that experienced these issues, and they just went with it. And in going with that idea took nothing about the consumer in consideration. Guess it was just all about them conforming to the new fuel mileage guidelines. Which I understand, but come on, Ford.
They are awesome. I think Ford put a cr@p ton of testing into turbocharging the F150’s early on. Sure, they have problems and we certainly hear about them there on FRF, but I have had at least half a dozen different contractors with eco F150s sporting north of 200k, all but 1 would buy it again. The other was upgrading to a heavier duty truck. They all like to jaw about the Raptor. I wonder if they could get more out of a small displacement TT v8, without a huge range penalty.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think ecoboost engine are good. IMO. Are there better engines out there, yes. I think the exobooost requires oil changes more often like 3k max if you want them to last.
Why do you think the EB needs more frequent oil changes than Ford recommends?