Engine Bay Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the best method to safely clean your engine bay? Did some off roading and my engine bay on my Gen 3 is pretty dusty is it safe to shoot some mild cleaner on it and hose it down? Any components that need to be covered from water intrusion?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a sprayer on the end of a garden hose, use the shower setting. I've used simple green, my normal Meguiar's wash and wax solution. The only time I had a problem was when I used a leaf blower to dry, it blew water into the electrical connectors. You should be fine spraying water on the engine as long as you don't go crazy in one spot, keep the spray moving.

OP
OP
GEN3LV

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a sprayer on the end of a garden hose, use the shower setting. I've used simple green, my normal Meguiar's wash and wax solution. The only time I had a problem was when I used a leaf blower to dry, it blew water into the electrical connectors. You should be fine spraying water on the engine as long as you don't go crazy in one spot, keep the spray moving.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Engine running
Pressure wash off. Dont put stream to intake opening or on electrical components
Snow foam your choice of soap or if real bad just spray with simple green
turn engine off
Get to brushing or scrubbing
pressure wash off
air dry with shp hose or leaf blower
wipe down left over areas of water
spray on your choce of shiny chit if you want.
Done

RivRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soap on towel, spray soap on engine, hit the big stuff with the towel, rinse. Towel / compressed air. Now the important part.....soak in WD-40 (water displacement - formula 40), wipe off what you can get to and the drips. Done every car & truck I have ever had owned this way, not greasy, keeps plastic & rubber from drying out and fights rust. I've had people look under the hood of vehicles I've had with over 200k on the OD and they think they are looking under the hood of a new vehicle. The key is also don't let it get to bad under the hood and do this every couple of washes to keep the new look.