Engine Bay Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know some would want to PPF their engine.

Cold engine. I cover the alt with a plastic bag but not absolutely necessary.

Spray down with cleaner. I use any sort of APC. Scrubbing Bubbles works great also.

Spray down with hose. Dry with leaf blower.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just do a simple method. I done this with all my cars/trucks etc...

This was after a Raptor Run a few days later... I did not wash right away.

Cold Engine.
Water Hose - with shower setting. I would never pressure wash the engine but that is just my personal preference.
Rinse --> wash with car soap; scrub some areas (mostly the plastic parts) - Rinse again
Let the Engine Dry 30-40 min.
Blower - for remaining water.
Spray 303 Automotive Protectant.

iRxByVZNIHyfIMDt8fgOw=w800-h922-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

HYiRxGHxWIJOdaROzMO2g=w691-h922-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
GEN3LV

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cold Engine.
Water Hose - with shower setting. I would never pressure wash the engine but that is just my personal preference.
Rinse --> wash with car soap; scrub some areas (mostly the plastic parts) - Rinse again

View attachment 440525

View attachment 440526

Nice process the engine bay looks brand new.

RollTigers

Reaction score
I’ve always made sure the engine was cold first. I spray Simple Green everywhere in The engine compartment probably once every couple of months. I close the hood but not lock it. Wash the truck and wash the engine bay off being careful not to spray directly into the intake or electrical connectors. I’ll just mist those. Then I’ll take my EGO blower to the engine. Once it’s pretty much dried, I’ll wipe Adam’s Graphine VRT on the plastic and rubber and it lasts for months. I don’t off road my Raptor so it stays relatively pristine under the hood anyway. But with the VRT on the plastic and hoses, it looks brand new. I use it on my wife’s Mach 1 too so when we take it to the Mustang club cars shows and pop the hood, it really looks awesome. I love Adam’s products.

OP
OP
GEN3LV

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adams products are great I have been using them for years. I also use some Chemical Guys products too here lately I have been trying some new products from this site they sell some really good detail supplies.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cold Engine.

View attachment 440525

View attachment 440526
Wow, that looks so, night and day, lol. Do you spay on / wipe off ? Or just let it sit? Looks very nice

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cold Engine.

View attachment 440525

View attachment 440526
Looks good and its exactly what i do, usually try to go for a drive or just idle for bit after spraying the engine with armor all (or 303 ive used both) to get the stuff heated and seems to get everywhere else i missed in the engine.

I am a bit paranoid so i always cover the fuse box, alternator, battery, and coils.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've washed every engine compartment on every vehicle I've ever owned, I really like the 505 cleaner from Home Depot. It's a more powerful formula of 409.

I spray everything under the hood, hitting the dirtiest spots a couple of times, wait a few minutes and rinse with a garden hose sprayer. Where people run into trouble is using a pressure washer.

Once done, start it up and let the engine heat dry everything up.

I worked for Los Angeles County for 35 years. The last ten years I had a take home County car. You were responsible for getting it to a County mechanic every 5K miles for service or they cut off your password for the County gas pumps. :(

One of the mechanics I used spray the entire engine compartment with WD40 after he serviced it. It always looked nice but have no idea why he did it. He was actually one of the sharpest mechanics they had.