Electronic Smell when heat is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we had a very cold winter here in NY but this actually just started last week.

When I turn my heat on in the morning I get an electronic smell coming from the vent (not the floor or window defrost selection). It lasts about 15 minutes.

Was going to take it in but was hoping it might pass.

Anyone else experience this?

2013 with 15k miles

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Talking with someone on the Ford Raptor Owners Group on Facebook and he had the same issue.

says it was the ignition switch.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird! My 2013 12k miles just started doing this last week. I'm in CT, so had the same cold winter. The heat works just fine, but there is definitely an electronic kinda smell (not altogether unpleasant - almost new car smell).

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

says it was the ignition switch.

As in his was bad? Or as in its normal and no worries?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrodrg

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment next Tuesday. I told them to check the ignition switch.

I'm not 100%. I asked what caused it and he didn't respond to me.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an appointment next Tuesday. I told them to check the ignition switch.

I'm not 100%. I asked what caused it and he didn't respond to me.

Be sure to let us know how things go next Tuesday, jrodrg. I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager as well; just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

jbomb0311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. My 2013 Screw with 14k on it does this too. Like you said it lasts about 10-15 min. Keep us updated.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. My 2013 Screw with 14k on it does this too. Like you said it lasts about 10-15 min. Keep us updated.

Here is a very lengthy thread on the "band aids" odor from HvAC: Strange smell - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I see Crystal has chimed in on that thread, too... no one has yet to get a soution from their dealer. I'm considering making an appt, but don't feel like 100 mi round-trip for nothing.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing my truck in the day after tomorrow to have this checked out. I had the service manager read through this thread and the one from f150forum linked above, so he's got all the background info. I'll post my result. jrodrg, if you could do the same I'm sure we'll be helping someone (even if neither of our dealers can come up with a solution).

OP
OP
jrodrg

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. My local dealership is small and they don't see many of these trucks if any. I was told by their service manager to go to the dealer i bought the truck from....lol. I told him it was 2 hours away!

I'm not confident they can actually do the work to be honest. I might reschedule with them seeing I don't think a 12:45pm appointment will be enough time to assess the problem. I have another appointment (unrelated) elsewhere at 415pm that day.

Either way I'll keep everyone updated. If either one of you get in for service before me let us know what they found out.

Thanks dfelicia for posting that link.

Seems like everyone is in the same ball park mileage and same weather related conditions.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@$!&! It got really cold outside, again, and now the smell doesn't come. Figures. I'm guessing the dealer will think I'm crazy. They won't be able to fix what they can't reproduce.

Oh, well. I'm bringing it in tomorrow as scheduled, nonetheless.

Edit: I canceled and will wait for warm weather. Doesn't make sense to try and make them diagnose an issue they cannot reproduce. The fact that it goes away when cold makes me think that whatever this is, it's probably not serious.

Last edited:

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this smell too. I dont worry about it much. we perform AC system cleanings on all our customers cars in the spring at rover. It dose help with all those smells that build up over the winter.