Duratrac on OEM wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched high and low and found no images of Duratrac tires on Gen2 Raptors with stock wheels.

I'm personally looking for good snow performance, lower rotational inertia, and a more aggressive sidewall appearance. I narrowed it down to the Duratrac. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a single picture of them on a stock wheel, but perhaps this post will trigger others who have installed them.

I'm not a serious off-roader, but we have thousands of miles of moderately maintained dirt roads in NM that provide the perfect opportunity to unleash the Raptor with the occasional jump-able bumps. And we have snow and mountains to crawl.

I'd say one of my biggest complaints of the Raptor is braking. One way to tackle that is to revamp the system. Another way is to lower rotational inertia.

Unfortunately, almost every tire and wheel that "looks" and "performs" well is heavier in the worst way - putts mass farther out from the axle. 20's look great and Nitto Trail Grapplers look amazing. But they simply increase the drivetrain loss and braking efficacy.

For 315/70/17, Duratracs are 61lbs, KO2s are 65lbs, Ridge Grapplers are 71lbs, and Trail Grapplers are 77lbs. All perform exceptional from what I read, and all are quiet on highway except for Trail Grapplers. But in my opinion, KO2's look like balloons, Trail Grapplers look epic, and Duratrac's are in between.

An easy way to compare setups is to calculate torque required to rotate big wheels/tires. With stock 37lb bead locks, going from a 65lb KO2 to a 77lb Trail Grappler amounts to a 35 ft-lbs torque loss. Going from a 61lb Duratrac to a 65lb Ko2 amounts to a 11f t-lb gain.

So far I'm happy with the installation. They seem quiet on the road, a tad lighter feel, and have a much more aggressive sidewall.

So what's next? Perhaps the Venom Rex VR-602 forged 17" wheel at 24lbs. That wheel with the Duratrac would provide a gain of 23 ft-lbs over stock compared to 11 ft-lbs with just the tires. (A 4llb reduction in tire weight nearly equals a 13lb wheel weight reduction. Tires matter most.)

Play around with this calculator to check my math and to see how much your tire and wheel weight (really inertia) matter:
http://www.the-welters.com/racing/rotational.xls

20190213_084858.jpg 20190213_084847.jpg 20190213_081914.jpg 20190202_145331_HDR.jpg

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Keep your eye out for the Enkei RPF-1 wheel offering. Weight should be in the low 20lb range. I am running the Truck-Star wheels which were the lightest and strongest wheel I could find. Not crazy about the look but they are very light and easy to clean. I am with you on the unsprung weight and rotating mass. Some of the easiest all around performance gains to be had.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
agreed! I love my Duratracs. Been running them on my 2013 for 42K and plan to run them soon on my 2019. I have Venom Rex VR-602s in the garage and will order the Duratracs soon. I will weigh everything and compare to the OEM setup.

Love my duratracs!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
agreed! I love my Duratracs. Been running them on my 2013 for 42K and plan to run them soon on my 2019. I have Venom Rex VR-602s in the garage and will order the Duratracs soon. I will weigh everything and compare to the OEM setup.

with the amount of snow I drive in, its definitely my best option without going to a true dedicated snow tire. And you cant argue with the wear!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did you just dropped a hint >> Keep your eye out for the Enkei RPF-1 wheel offering?

Keep your eye out for the Enkei RPF-1 wheel offering. Weight should be in the low 20lb range. I am running the Truck-Star wheels which were the lightest and strongest wheel I could find. Not crazy about the look but they are very light and easy to clean. I am with you on the unsprung weight and rotating mass. Some of the easiest all around performance gains to be had.