Duratrac on OEM wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 13k miles on my 315/70/17 Duratracs. I went with them because they are great in the snow and one of the lightest tires in that size. I usually don't care about weight. I ran 78 lb. Trail Grapplers on my last 2 trucks but I wanted something lighter this time. I've been running Duratracs on my Bronco for about 6 years.

SAM_0720.JPG

Picture340Medium.jpg

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious but i see a lot of people talk about lighter tires . Why does it matter if a tire or rim is lighter ? The duratrac does look like a nice tire .

Thanks

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious but i see a lot of people talk about lighter tires . Why does it matter if a tire or rim is lighter ? The duratrac does look like a nice tire .

Thanks

Better ride and handling. Quicker acceleration. Better braking performance. Better MPGs.

Basically the only reasons not to run the lightest tires possible are off road performance (and resistance to punctures), and load ratings (for guys who tow or haul a lot of weight).

OP
OP
pigwet

pigwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three comparisons:

wheel 1: 17" stock bead locks with 315/70/17 KO2s
wheel 2: 17" VR-601 with 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs
wheel 3: 20" VR-602 with Nitto Trail Grapplers (equivalent to 35/12.5/20)

Compared to stock, lowest inertia setup gives back 23 ft-lbs of torque from drivetrain loss.
Compared to stock, highest inertia setup takes away 59 ft-lbs of torque from additional drivetrain loss.

Not my calculator, just using what I found online.

Capture.JPG

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The KO2 is C rated (soft) and the Duratrac is D rated just a bit stiffer. Lots of truck tires are E rated which is the stiffest you can get. E rated are the heaviest.

The duratracs are just a tad bit louder but by no means loud like a mud tire. They do get louder as they wear. I just purchased a 2019 but still have my gen 1. I have been running the duratras on my gen1 for the last 42,000 miles and will order duratracs for my gen2 in 2 months.

Do they ride as nice as the KO2's

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been talking to a colleague at work about Duratracs. Definitely want to give them a go next time once my KO2s are done.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The KO2 is C rated (soft) and the Duratrac is D rated just a bit stiffer. Lots of truck tires are E rated which is the stiffest you can get. E rated are the heaviest.

The duratracs are just a tad bit louder but by no means loud like a mud tire. They do get louder as they wear. I just purchased a 2019 but still have my gen 1. I have been running the duratras on my gen1 for the last 42,000 miles and will order duratracs for my gen2 in 2 months.

keep in mind the 315 duratracs are D rated, the 35's are E rated.