Driving Mode Use Cases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

knifetalk

Reaction score
You can use 4a all the time. I use it in the mountains on the corners as it helps control body roll I think. Drives like a Subaru lol. Sport when you want to drive aggressively. I use sport mode and then select 4a, hold brake and give it gas until it builds boost for a good launch off the line. Anything super slippery like snow sand or mud I use mud and sand mode. Weather mode sucks and just Neuters the throttle. 4h only when off the pavement. Baja if you’re ripping in the sand, you can Baja mode then select 2wd to get it to do doughnuts. Your mileage may vary but I have done this since new and just passed 102000 miles.
That's referred to as a brake boost, no? I've gotta try that - bet it puts you back in your seat lol.

Gotta admit I've never tried 4A since getting the truck but curious to try it now, and want to do a 0-60 run with the brake boost technique haha

OP
OP
K

knifetalk

Reaction score
For me, normal mode with sport steering 90% of the time. 2H in summer, 4A for winter.
What benefit do you find running normal mode with the sport steering? I've tried this and found my arm gets fatigued after a while in 12 o'clock position, which I'm guessing is due to the stiffened wheel

OP
OP
K

knifetalk

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#OneLessprius
#BlackRaptorsMatter
#AntiMatterBlueAin'tBlackEnough

Mud and Sand tackles 90% of my off road needs and wants. The shift points are higher than sport, but not “full send” like Baja. Throttle is very close to 1 to 1 and the Rap loves it.

You need to really be able to open it up for Baja enjoyment and I find the Rap eats up ground quickly.

I have used weather to test it out. That’s it. If I were in sleet, maybe driving snow(?) I’d consider it, but likely would just keep it in normal eco mode.

If I even remotely suspect I’ll want or need what most of us understand as a good shift pattern, I select sport mode.

Normal eco mode SUCKS, especially on early Jen Too trucks. My truck was held back for QA, had over a hundred miles on the clock and the dealer left me a punch list of what was updated, including pcm and tcm updates. Still, as delivered, she would be in 10th gear by 41mph, and would not downshift without WFO throttle and would instead try to boost its way out of it. I let that go for ... about 8 or 9 months and did a merge onto an interstate in normal. She wouldn’t downshift at all, so it was painfully slow to get to speed. Eventually I got the dealer to reprogram the TCM and dramatically improved that condition.

I’m in @Booth9999 ’s camp with 4a. It gives you some added protection against coming around if you overdo it on the boost. Like a hard take off and immediate left or right turn. I had the rear step out on me in this situation about a month ago, instead of getting too bent out of shape, the fronts just pulled us along and just like the look you get from a cat I swear I could hear the truck saying “I meant to do that”...

Is that Skyline Drive?
That is Skyline!

Your last paragraph is very descriptive lol. I haven't hit a corner at speed yet, feel like still getting used to how big this vehicle is, but gonna have to give it a try in 4A. Sadly I don't have much open desert near me in VA so I can't try Baja to its full potential, but there's a Raptor run in Rausch Creek in May I think I'll be able to have some fun at.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I prefer sport for all daily driving, lessons the body roll and truck holds RPM's a little better, I like the stiffened steering but if you don't that's okay. You can run suspension in sport mode but steering normal. I like 4A for wet roads or anytime I want a little more grip. Off-road just depends on the conditions. Baja is totally a different animal, and is very aggressive. I Normally use 4H for cruising dirt roads.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4A in sport mode TC off steering in comfort mode (in comfort it’s stiff enough to be sport mode in any other vehicle lol) that’s how I’d roll alot of times when truck was stock & I was driving aggressively.

If you wanna get really aggressive hold TC button longer a 2nd time & also disable stability control, which keeps the truck from cutting power or removing timing or dialing in TQ mgmt or causing ABS to kick in & this is also important when starting from a stop in mud, slick surface, snow, I noticed all the Nannie’s cut in way too soon & it really seems like it could be damaging to the the trans/t-case/diffs the way it intervenes in a situation like that.

But I’ll put it in 4H & disable
All that stuff too & then the thing will really rip off-road/in snow

Now tuned I usually keep
It in normal mode, comfort steering, if the roads are fairly smooth, it’s dry out, I’ll leave it in 2H & take TC off & will drive spirited that way- BUT if roads are full of ruts/potholes &/or it’s raining I do 4A TC off not just for traction purposes but also b/c it helps reduce the axle hop that occurs in the gen2 w/ stock leafs under power on uneven surface.

I use slippery mode when it’s mix of sleet/snow/rain & roads are changing from hard pack snow to dry pavement over & over, if roads are covered w/ snow or I’m off-road it’s in 4H (you can switch to 4H in slippery mode too I think) but slippery mode is mainly for my wife or if I’m being lazy & not trying to have fun driving

Baja mode is awesome offroad when you’re romping on it, I wouldn’t use it on the street except for straight line driving or showing off lol & make sure you put it back in 2H when on street, off-road Baja mode is a riot esp w/ a tune it keeps the turbos spooled all the time & keeps you in deep gears, the exhaust will pop & crackle too, I’ve done some nasty off-road drifting in Baja

Rock crawl mode + the “off-road cruise control” feature is pretty amazing, it’s one of the few times I can say a drive mode truly does what it advertises & delivers (Baja mode too)

I use tow mode when I’m towing, its good for downhill grades seems to dial engine braking into the mix

But In general since my trucks been tuned I don’t use sport mode anymore (shifts are too aggressive - I’d only use it for a minute merging onto freeway for a pull maybe) & in general except
In extreme weather/terrain I only switch between “manual” drive modes leaving it in normal mode, comfort steering, TC off & selecting between 2H/4a/4H - I’ve only HAD to use 4L 2x once when off-road for a second after getting my tires buried bout 8” into mud & once when I was a lil nervous on a boat ramp after backing down a lil too far, other than that I’d say put it in 4L on some grass & drive forward & backward 50’ or something in a straight line 1-2x a year just to make sure 4L is working correctly

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that they have to shift the way they do, it just drives me nuts to hear the engine running at the "wrong" RPM.
This. My previous car—a 350Z roadster—was my first manual, and it was so glorious to be able to get rid of that wrong RPM thing. I don't mind the Raptor in normal for daily driving. In other modes, unless I'm hammering it, I use manual mode because it holds gears too much when you're on the way back down. Although manual from 2-1 is always clunky. Sometimes it's better let it force itself to do that.

I will say that I drove a Ferrari 458, and its auto drove exactly like I would have in a manual. So that was impressive. However, I would've still used the paddles had I been allowed to, haha.

My mode is normal 90% of the time. I'm usually just cruising while taking the kids to school. Unless I need to pass someone that I know is going to be a pain, normal works. When I first was figuring out the truck, it was the rainy season so I tried weather or whatever it's called, but it's not necessary in FL. Normal is neutered enough. Weather might be helpful on ice—maybe. I've used 2H normal on ice before. Snow is about the same or slightly more traction than our rains here if it hasn't been compacted so. So the most I'd probably do for weather is switch to 4A.

Baja is where it's at. If I'm off-road, I'm almost always using it unless I'm slowly going through the woods. Baja on 2H is incredible. You should try it at least once. I no longer really rip on the streets, but that is worth a shot for sure.

JayRods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My preference for everyday driving.

Sport Mode
Comfort steering
Baja suspension
Quiet Exhaust

That's how I set up my R button.

It rides so smooth, Fun and easy to drive,

I LOVE THIS AMAZING TRUCK !!!!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
My preference for everyday driving.

Sport Mode
Comfort steering
Baja suspension
Quiet Exhaust

That's how I set up my R button.

It rides so smooth, Fun and easy to drive,

I LOVE THIS AMAZING TRUCK !!!!

No R button on the Gen 2.

Granelli

Reaction score
For ultimate track times you engage sport mode, twist the dial to 4a, steering to comfort, and hold down the traction button until everything is off. Of course this is only done after you reprogram the tcm and have goosetuned unlock some power