Driving Mode Use Cases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knifetalk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just wondering your use cases for each drive mode (Sport, Baja, Weather, etc.), steering mode, and 2H/4A/4H/4L.

Do you run in Sport all the time? How about 4A? Is weather mode okay for heavy rain? Do you ever find yourself in a different steering mode (i.e. sport) than drive mode?

I'm a first time truck and Raptor owner, and just curious on y'alls driving habits when behind the wheel of your Raptors. Thanks for your input!

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My general mode on the street is Sport.

If its raining, I'll leave it in Normal, or use Wet/Slippery, depending on conditions.

4A on any time I'm not on pavement, unless I need a terrain mode.

Baja is a blast, but I don't use it on the street.

Last edited:

Corpsefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a lot of highway miles so I just run in normal. Around town in sportmode. Everything feels better and it doesn't shift 1000 times In sport mode. Anytime I'm in the dirt or go to lake I put in offroad or whatever mode puts me in 4L and 4H. Not that I need to but why not. Plus I've read other threads that you should put it in 4L every so often to keep things running smooth.

I don't think you want to run it in 4WD if your just driving around without a reason to use it. I could be wrong though.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You can use 4a all the time. I use it in the mountains on the corners as it helps control body roll I think. Drives like a Subaru lol. Sport when you want to drive aggressively. I use sport mode and then select 4a, hold brake and give it gas until it builds boost for a good launch off the line. Anything super slippery like snow sand or mud I use mud and sand mode. Weather mode sucks and just Neuters the throttle. 4h only when off the pavement. Baja if you’re ripping in the sand, you can Baja mode then select 2wd to get it to do doughnuts. Your mileage may vary but I have done this since new and just passed 102000 miles.

tlrmade

Reaction score
i have come to love sport mode for around town and highway. mine shifts a little rough in sport from 4th-5th though. I usually run sport mode and steering to comfort sometimes as well.

N0body

Reaction score
i have come to love sport mode for around town and highway. mine shifts a little rough in sport from 4th-5th though. I usually run sport mode and steering to comfort sometimes as well.
Seems like that’s the only hard shift I get as well.

Normal mode on the highway with comfort steering.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#OneLessprius
#BlackRaptorsMatter
#AntiMatterBlueAin'tBlackEnough

Mud and Sand tackles 90% of my off road needs and wants. The shift points are higher than sport, but not “full send” like Baja. Throttle is very close to 1 to 1 and the Rap loves it.

You need to really be able to open it up for Baja enjoyment and I find the Rap eats up ground quickly.

I have used weather to test it out. That’s it. If I were in sleet, maybe driving snow(?) I’d consider it, but likely would just keep it in normal eco mode.

If I even remotely suspect I’ll want or need what most of us understand as a good shift pattern, I select sport mode.

Normal eco mode SUCKS, especially on early Jen Too trucks. My truck was held back for QA, had over a hundred miles on the clock and the dealer left me a punch list of what was updated, including pcm and tcm updates. Still, as delivered, she would be in 10th gear by 41mph, and would not downshift without WFO throttle and would instead try to boost its way out of it. I let that go for ... about 8 or 9 months and did a merge onto an interstate in normal. She wouldn’t downshift at all, so it was painfully slow to get to speed. Eventually I got the dealer to reprogram the TCM and dramatically improved that condition.

I’m in @Booth9999 ’s camp with 4a. It gives you some added protection against coming around if you overdo it on the boost. Like a hard take off and immediate left or right turn. I had the rear step out on me in this situation about a month ago, instead of getting too bent out of shape, the fronts just pulled us along and just like the look you get from a cat I swear I could hear the truck saying “I meant to do that”...

Is that Skyline Drive?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just wondering your use cases for each drive mode (Sport, Baja, Weather, etc.), steering mode, and 2H/4A/4H/4L.

Do you run in Sport all the time? How about 4A? Is weather mode okay for heavy rain? Do you ever find yourself in a different steering mode (i.e. sport) than drive mode?

I'm a first time truck and Raptor owner, and just curious on y'alls driving habits when behind the wheel of your Raptors. Thanks for your input!
I run in 2H 99% of the time on the road, even on snow. Traction control is so good that unless you want to drive like an A-hole, 2H works fine. And if you want to drive like an A-hole, keep in mind that ALL vehicles have four wheel stopping. Every once in a while I'll use slippery mode if it's really bad, but I don't notice that it adds much over normal mode with 4A.

I mostly drive in tow/haul mode. It's what normal mode would have been in a world without the EPA. Not as aggressive as sport, just ... normal.

Off road, I always use manual mode. Mud/sand is the go to in general, 4L for crawling, and Baja occasionally when I want to get frisky. Sometimes when I get frisky I will let the transmission shift for itself because I'm busy, but I grew up on manual trannies and don't like how automatics shift. I understand that they have to shift the way they do, it just drives me nuts to hear the engine running at the "wrong" RPM.