Driveline grinding issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just left the Tasca website. Was about to order one until I saw they wanted over $10 to ship a $7 item so I'll just stop by the local ford parts counter instead.

Agreed but it’s almost a wash if you order two. Dealer will charge $9.90 each plus tax.

So cost me in my area $2.35 extra...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used 4A a lot this past winter and go into 4H weekly when I'm working in the field but haven't experienced this issue - yet. I think I'm going to get some spares just in case.

bkirkwood

Reaction score
I have an ‘18 SCREW, and a few months ago I noticed an odd grinding type sound when the truck was in 2wd after having been in 4wd/4A. Once accelerating from a stop, it seems like a part of the driveline/driveshaft grinds audibly (and you can feel it) for a second or two, and then it feels like whatever part it is syncs/seats, and it stops. It’s not the transmission...shifts occur independently of the grinding issue. It doesn’t do it all the time, and, of course, it wouldn’t do it at the dealership/they couldn’t find anything wrong. The last time it did it was over this past weekend...I put the truck in and out of 4A a few times, and it stopped, for now.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or does anyone know what part/system is doing this? TIA.

Yes, I had this same issue on my 2018 Raptor. The noise was very random, almost scary, felt like something was moving up and down the front axle to me. I took it in several times, but they could not get it to reproduce while there. I finally insisted a tech ride with me and luckily it happened. It ended up being the high pressure fuel pump. The bolts were loose (and eventually broke off) so every time the high pressure was engaged (so I assume on acceleration) the fuel pump would "rattle". Like I said, eventually it broke completely loose and then I could not accelerate, which happened on the freeway for me. I would take your truck in, have them check the high pressure fuel pump bolts. My service adviser said "there is not a recall on this yet, but we've seen it a few times on the Raptors"

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I had this same issue on my 2018 Raptor. The noise was very random, almost scary, felt like something was moving up and down the front axle to me. I took it in several times, but they could not get it to reproduce while there. I finally insisted a tech ride with me and luckily it happened. It ended up being the high pressure fuel pump. The bolts were loose (and eventually broke off) so every time the high pressure was engaged (so I assume on acceleration) the fuel pump would "rattle". Like I said, eventually it broke completely loose and then I could not accelerate, which happened on the freeway for me. I would take your truck in, have them check the high pressure fuel pump bolts. My service adviser said "there is not a recall on this yet, but we've seen it a few times on the Raptors"

Thanks...I will see if the vacuum check valve change fixes it first. However, I will bring this up at next service, regardless.

drdjin

Reaction score
Could it be anything else? My dealer had my 2017 for over a month couldn't figure how to fix it. They took the header, and everything off when I paid them a surprised visit after 4 weeks. They said they were waiting for a part, and it's on back order. IMHO, I think they simply didn't know what they were doing and the mechanic is trying to learn on a dime.
Anyway, if you can think of possibly something else, please let me know. As my truck start to have that symptom again. It happened once when it was sub20 out, and I floored it to get on to the parkway... I felt that I was not getting all the power as I always did, so I backed off gas a bit and step on it again, that's when the grinding noise turn into a thump and stopped.
That was almost 2 months ago. The next time it happened was 2 weeks ago, again when I was gassing hard. But this time the grinding was not as loud, but lasted for almost 5 to 10 minutes. I tried to step on it a few times to no avail.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

May be your vacuum check valve starting to fail. Check under the hood it’s on the fire wall by your brake fluid reservoir and if you have the black one(blue is the new one and part# below)on the right they fail. It’s all of $9 that’s where I would start. Buy a spare for the trail.

0097fef89f67f215336ec857e154652c.jpg
b9e21d8a4157f79a44742e6fdd27b438.jpg
4c609529a860eb33bc58d10d0acc313e.jpg

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RaptorTurboS

Reaction score
I bought the updated the Vacuum line and it arrives tomorrow. This may be a dumb question, but do I need to do anything special before swapping the line? Keep it in 2W, 4A, etc?
Of course, the truck will be off, just making sure there isn’t anything more involved I should be aware of.
Thanks!

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the updated the Vacuum line and it arrives tomorrow. This may be a dumb question, but do I need to do anything special before swapping the line? Keep it in 2W, 4A, etc?
Of course, the truck will be off, just making sure there isn’t anything more involved I should be aware of.
Thanks!

No sir, install and then check operation in all 4x4 settings.