Dreaded 4x4 popping and disengaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 RAPTOR SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them check the vac lines. I had them replaced on my 2010 and 2012.

Your front vacuum lines are probably cracked or broken causing the IWE's to only go in partially then popping back out.
Here's a thread that I wrote regarding the problem. As someone else said, there are several threads that talk about his. One of the most common f150 4x4 problems that exist. Cheap plastic vacuum lines that make the 4x4 work on these trucks.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/weak-vacuum-line-grinding-noise-fix-24281/

Hope this helps.

Mil T

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them check the vac lines. I had them replaced on my 2010 and 2012.

If you read my thread you'll see it takes 5 minutes if you use a vacuum gage at the vacuum line that runs the front 4x4 that attaches up by the power brake booster. That will tell you if it's cracked or broken.
Yes it can break that soon. look down by your passenger side where the plastic line is exposed next to the exhaust and if your in very cold weather like what's been going on this winter then that line can also crack from cold also.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

If it's only grinding in 4 wheel drive it not due to cracked vacuum lines or loss of vacuum, the truck uses vacuum to disengage the hubs to be in 2 wheel drive.

And if the line is cracked it allows just enough vacuum to allow the actuator to rub against the hub causing the grinding noise and when trying to put it in 4 wheel drive will allow the gear on the actuator to slip and clunk as it's trying to get into 4 wheel drive.

Raptor_Kx250

Reaction score
And if the line is cracked it allows just enough vacuum to allow the actuator to rub against the hub causing the grinding noise and when trying to put it in 4 wheel drive will allow the gear on the actuator to slip and clunk as it's trying to get into 4 wheel drive.

I'm not understanding this..... The problem he is having is in 4 wheel drive NOT grinding in 2 wheel drive as if there were a vac leak like your thread is talking about, your thread states if you put it in 4 wheel drive the noise goes away correct? The truck releases vacuum to engage 4 wheel drive so if there was a broken line it wouldn't mater because there is no vacuum in 4 wheel. I'd put my money on a cracked iwe.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not understanding this..... The problem he is having is in 4 wheel drive NOT grinding in 2 wheel drive as if there were a vac leak like your thread is talking about, your thread states if you put it in 4 wheel drive the noise goes away correct? The truck releases vacuum to engage 4 wheel drive so if there was a broken line it wouldn't mater because there is no vacuum in 4 wheel. I'd put my money on a cracked iwe.

your right on all accounts and I think you are saying it but not seeing it.
My point is a cracked vacuum line can cause a loss in vacuum but not completely so it allows the actuator to want to engage 4 wheel drive and sometimes does but the popping is the gear on the actuator not completely meshing and then popping off the hub gear which makes a large popping sound.
Your right in that if you loose vacuum the front hubs default to 4 wheel drive on the hubs only and causes the axles to spin but you are still not in 4 wheel drive until you switch the transfer case to 4 wheel.
I have not said that I was sure that was the problem but it is one of the most common problems for Ford F150 trucks to have. I was only suggesting to check it since it only takes 5 minutes with the proper tools.

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So update for everyone, the stealership has finally escalated my problem, a ford engineer came today to work in the truck. The outcome is a new t case has been ordered, another new set of iwes vacuum lines Solenoid and wheel bearing and cv axles.
Hopefully this solves the problems. A lot of help from ms mi raptor and a lemon law attorney did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Apprently clutch like material a burnt oil smell and metal flakes in the oil was enough to order a new t case

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how they are going to know what the problem really is with all that being replaced? It would be nice if they did the repairs in stages like front axles. Then maybe the transfer case.
Let us know how it comes out.

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure I understand it would be best to do in stages, However my truck being in the dealer for over a month my patience has long since run out. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The outcome is a new t case has been ordered, another new set of iwes vacuum lines Solenoid and wheel bearing and cv axles.
Hopefully this solves the problems. A lot of help from ms mi raptor and a lemon law attorney did the trick

I might have to try this route. I cannot even turn around in soft sand and the damn thing will pop.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Luke13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I received the best customer service by Ford since purchasing the vehicle and all I had to do was threaten the lemon law