Does a larger intercooler void your warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These questions are complicated. A lot of folks will just say the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects you; and Ford voiding the warranty is illegal. This is true but if Ford decides to fight you in court, I can assure you they have deeper pockets than anyone here. Technically, any part that fails that could be attributed to the aftermarket part (which BTW has to be PROVEN by Ford) would not be covered. For example, you blow a turbo (or 2) and bring the car in. Ford could say that the intercooler somehow caused the turbo failure. Again, they would legally have to prove this, but if they come back to you and say, "Hey, you're screwed your intercooler caused this", what are you really going to do?

This is close but still incorrect.

Using your example, I blow a turbo and hobble to the dealer, who thinks the aftermarket IC caused the failure.

Ford doesn't have to prove anything - they simply deny the work under warranty. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make Ford fix your vehicle for free. They will refuse to touch it.

If you think you have a case, YOU spend money getting some independent testing done, certified automotive expert witnesses, the CEO of the aftermarket part, etc some/all willing to testify on your behalf in court - which you'll be paying for out of pocket until you (hopefully) win and then get reimbursed (if you win attorney's fees).

I readily mod but am always prepared to pay if something goes wrong.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Using your example, I blow a turbo and hobble to the dealer, who thinks the aftermarket IC caused the failure.

Ford doesn't have to prove anything - they simply deny the work under warranty. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make Ford fix your vehicle for free. They will refuse to touch it.

If you think you have a case, YOU spend money getting some independent testing done, certified automotive expert witnesses, the CEO of the aftermarket part, etc some/all willing to testify on your behalf in court - which you'll be paying for out of pocket until you (hopefully) win and then get reimbursed (if you win attorney's fees).

I readily mod but am always prepared to pay if something goes wrong.

^^ this....with these new motors and electronics how r you , the customer going to prove ford wrong?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Technically the burden of proof is on them to say the aftermarket part caused a part to fail that otherwise would not have. Like I said, and what you have said is that Ford can just deny the claim and that’s that. You can take them to court if you really think your mod didn’t cause the problem but that’s like pissing up a rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically the burden of proof is on them to say the aftermarket part caused a part to fail that otherwise would not have. Like I said, and what you have said is that Ford can just deny the claim and that’s that. You can take them to court if you really think your mod didn’t cause the problem but that’s like pissing up a rope.

Practically speaking, we're on the same page I think - it's a FN tough fight

Legally speaking, you're still writing the opposite, though, as the burden of proof (that the IC didn't affect the turbo) is still on the customer, not Ford

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Practically speaking, we're on the same page I think - it's a FN tough fight

Legally speaking, you're still writing the opposite, though, as the burden of proof (that the IC didn't affect the turbo) is still on the customer, not Ford

Yes we are on the same page however, legally the burden is on Ford to prove the part DID cause the failure. My ranting about their deep pockets and all that is because typically the mfgrs will just say, "your mod made the part fail, warranty denied".

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been in a mag moss battle before. it was horrible and cost me a lot of money. The factory blatantly lied and said an engine modification caused a synchronizer failure in a brand new transmission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have been in a mag moss battle before. it was horrible and cost me a lot of money. The factory blatantly lied and said an engine modification caused a synchronizer failure in a brand new transmission.

Sorry for your trouble, but yeah, your example is what I'm talking about. the Mag-Moss was enacted to protect us, the consumers. If you had taken them to court, you likely would have won but at that point, the cost would probably have been greater than fixing the car out of pocked anyway.

ABP

Reaction score
I tried to battle Ford way back in 1999 on a Ford Windstar that was a lemon and exceeded all the requirements to force a buy back. I used the state of Texas to mediate my case and never got anywhere. Ford would simply ignore all the states notices and my case would time out. I would have to re up my case to keep it active. After almost a year of trying I dumped the van and moved on.My case was obviously not a voided warranty but an example of Ford taking a stand and refusing to fix my vehicle. The point being the dealer can void your warranty for anything they want. To battle them you will need to hire an attorney and be prepared to spend decent money. Ford is betting you will not and it is likely the repair you are fighting is less than the legal fees.