Do 2020 Raptors need the catch can modification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalanchegrey

Reaction score
*SIGH* Unfortunately the majority of the moisture trapped in those catch cans are the result of the catch can setup itself. The hoses that attach it are prime areas for moisture condensation that collects in the can. Ever notice just how SHORT the OEM PCV hoses are. That's for a specific reason. I'm a firm believer in catch cans where actually needed in turbo-direct injection(only) engines, but the Raptor 3.5 doesn't have the usual direct injection problems because it also uses port injection. In fact, it operates on the port injection MOST of the time. The direct injection is used mainly under heavy loads, high(er) rpm situations where high-cylinder pressure detonation would be present on a port-only engine.

Obviously people can do whatever they want, but know that the Raptor 3.5 EB does NOT "need" a catch can setup at all.
⬆️ That!
No catch can period.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not produce a white (watery) substance. It produces a black, foul, oily, gunk that I would hate to see run back into my engine.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would a catch can be beneficial if I make alot of short drives? I only live about 2.5 miles away from the office & unless i take a coffee detour engine temp doesn't warm up all the way.

I wouldn’t recommend it. With the length of the additional hoses and catch can, all it’s going to do is build up moisture during that short drive.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I watch this video it answered all the questions I had to myself about whether or not to install the door catch again system in our Ford eco-boost engines

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After I watch this video it answered all the questions I had to myself about whether or not to install the door catch again system in our Ford eco-boost engines

Not debating the fact to use or not use a catch can. Only that this video isn’t truly representative of the Raptors 3.5 HO engine. The 3.5 HO employs port injection and direct injection. So Intake valves get bathed. But there are other things to consider and you may want to use a catch can still.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The video plainly applies to the direct injection ONLY engines. This is EXACTLY why Ford added port injection to their flagship engine in the Raptor and Ford GT. These are FACTS, so **** your opinions.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not debating the fact to use or not use a catch can. Only that this video isn’t truly representative of the Raptors 3.5 HO engine. The 3.5 HO employs port injection and direct injection. So Intake valves get bathed. But there are other things to consider and you may want to use a catch can still.
Good point

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*SIGH* Unfortunately the majority of the moisture trapped in those catch cans are the result of the catch can setup itself. The hoses that attach it are prime areas for moisture condensation that collects in the can. Ever notice just how SHORT the OEM PCV hoses are. That's for a specific reason. I'm a firm believer in catch cans where actually needed in turbo-direct injection(only) engines, but the Raptor 3.5 doesn't have the usual direct injection problems because it also uses port injection. In fact, it operates on the port injection MOST of the time. The direct injection is used mainly under heavy loads, high(er) rpm situations where high-cylinder pressure detonation would be present on a port-only engine.

Obviously people can do whatever they want, but know that the Raptor 3.5 EB does NOT "need" a catch can setup at all.

Daily driving it doesn't matter. It is an emissions issue. The crankcase venting to the intake just reburns it. This DOES however reduce octane. If you are pushing it, keeping that oil out of your intake air helps raise your effective octane, which is important when pushing it. Daily drivers, it is perfectly fine to reburn that stuff.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Daily driving it doesn't matter. It is an emissions issue. The crankcase venting to the intake just reburns it. This DOES however reduce octane. If you are pushing it, keeping that oil out of your intake air helps raise your effective octane, which is important when pushing it. Daily drivers, it is perfectly fine to reburn that stuff.

Now who ever pushes a Raptor? :D