LASFIT Pods…the lights you didn’t know you need (review/install)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sincerely miss my Gen 1 and this community but I also remember you guys telling me to stick around and help where I can. I had a chance to test out LASFIT Pod lighting on my 2018 F150 and wanted to share my review/install of them with you guys. I know how much Raptor guys love their lighting, especially Baja Designs, and I was no exception when I had mine. Anyway I hope you enjoy the read and welcome any and all criticism. I still long for the day I get back into a Raptor. Look for more reviews like this as I am working on a few other products that may interest you guys from other companies.(also posted in GEN 1 section lighting)

LASFIT Pods…the lights you didn’t know you need

2C11BD27-F123-42E8-9949-9B7FAED52283.jpeg

LASFIT, a company that is know for replacement LED bulbs at great prices, little did I know (and maybe you), they also began producing off-road lighting. Specifically I was interested in running their 3” pod lights, which can be purchased for around $130. LASFIT often runs sales and these can be picked up for as cheap as $116. When you compare that to Baja Design Squadron sports, priced at $249, the savings can really start adding up, especially if your goal is to run multiple setups. LASFIT also has an HP (high performance) lineup that is priced at around $249.

I want to be transparent with this review. LASFIT sent me both a set of 3” Sport and HP pod lights at a discounted price, but at no point did they attempt to influence my review. Now that that is out of the way, the question is, how do these stack up against the bigger, more expensive lights on the market? I am going to break this down into a few different segments, so feel free to jump to the ones that interest you most.

What’s in the box?

Whether you choose the Sport Series or the HP Series, you will be receiving a pair of 3” LED pods, 2 pigtails, mounting brackets, and hardware (including Allen keys). The lights are constructed out of aluminum with a very nice black powder coated finish. Please note that a harness is not included and normally adds around $15 to your cost if you do need it. The good news is that the harness includes a switch to get you up and running easily. LASFIT really has some nice packaging and it makes you feel like the quality is there.

ED2E4A49-0A3D-4DAD-B08E-C887F9B41A9B.jpeg

My initial impression of the lights is that they feel like a quality product that will stand up to the elements, they even carry a IP67 waterproof and impact rating. The lenses are nice and thick and can be swapped out between clear, amber, and yellow with the provided Allen key. One thing to note between the HP and Sport Series is that the HP comes with stainless steel hardware while the Sport has black hardware.

Specification comparison

What’s a review if we are not going to compare specs between other options on the market to get a real idea just how well these stack up to the competition? I feel a fair comparison is to focus on the entry level lineups of a few different manufacturers, but I will be throwing LASFIT’S HP series in the ring because in terms of cost, it is priced equally with the others.

AD44C336-7901-4A49-A0EE-E47FC420C213.jpeg

From a raw lumens standpoint we can see that the BD squadrons and the Rigid D Series Pro are nearly equal in output and beat out the LASFIT sports by about 1150 lumens. Stepping up to the HP series, the output is 850 lumens more for the same price. The BD and Rigid’s have limited lifetime warranties, while LASFIT offers a 3 year hassle free warranty.

Installation

Install is pretty straight forward. Where you choose to mount the lights and route your wires is really a personal decision. Getting the switch fed through the firewall is the most difficult part (a non issue for raptor owners). The switch itself uses double sided tape and can be mounted on your dash. The harness is a simple plug and play into the lights. The connections seem high quality and should keep dust and moisture out. The harness includes an inline fuse, so they even have you covered there.

Required tools

-14mm wrench
-Adjustable wrench (for battery terminal nuts)
-Allen key (provided)
-Zip ties
-Rubbing alcohol or similar

Step 1

Install the universal mounting bracket to the pod itself using the supplied hardware and Allen key (I recommend you wait to fully tighten them before properly aiming them).

F1929453-8FC0-49C3-BF8E-6FE642B2E0AE.jpeg

Step 2

Mount the light to your bracket of choice (A-pillar, fog, grill, etc.) using the supplied hardware and 14mm wrench (a ratcheting wrench makes life a little easier). I chose to mount mine to my pre-installed A-Pillar brackets (sold separately).

01A11432-11C3-459B-B7E3-996274D5FEDD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 3

Connect the negative and then positive leads of the harness to the battery.

D8BAE448-EED1-4C12-A876-2B8EEBD7F3CD.jpeg

Step 4

Run your wire connections to each pod light and plug them into the pod. For a clean look, run the wiring up to the wiper cowl and into the rubber flap pictured and used zip ties to secure it in other locations. Excess wiring on the passenger side was bundled and hidden behind the f irewall shielding. Run the switch wire and driver side pod wire across the cowl from the passenger side. The switch wire was then ran into the firewall (the most difficult part). Depending on how and where you run your switch, you may find the wire length a little too short.

E2E645F2-453F-4870-A2EC-193AD269B90B.jpeg

Step 5

Decide where you want to mount the switch and clean the area well (I recommend rubbing alcohol). Peel the backing and press adhesive pad firmly for a few seconds to ensure a good bond.

09F55628-CD4D-4BFC-947A-1132BC1B5625.jpeg

Step 6

Turn on your ignition, push your switch, and let there be light!

63CD5965-49F5-4BAA-A1AF-DA08AB3F3217.jpeg

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real World Brightness

We can talk lumens all day but the fact is most people just want to see where the rubber meets the road, or in this case, the light. You have to remember that all of these companies offer different light patterns. LASFIT offers a flood, fog, spot, and driving pattern. Each pattern has distinct characteristics in how the light is distributed. In the photos to follow you will see both a spot pattern produced by the HP series and a flood pattern being produced by the sport series. For the sake of testing, these will both be mounted at the A-Pillar. Being strategic with your light setup also helps put the light where you need it most for your own individual application. For example, by choosing flood and spot, you gain light both close range and long distance.

F28D5D15-B91D-4CA8-A62B-6268C23C3C0B.jpeg

364F091E-0523-4D56-B3D8-6977ABD581F4.jpeg

Summary

In my opinion, the value that LASFIT has packed into their Sport and HP series is really hard to beat. After seeing both the quality and output that these produce, I am sold on these possibly being the best “bang for your buck” light on the market. Little improvements could be made, such as a longer switch wire and possibly star washers to hold the lights a little tighter to the brackets, especially for heavy off-road abuse. Outside of that, these are an incredible value. I encourage you to visit www.lasfit.com. There you will find more detailed information and be able to pick up these awesome lights for your current or next build.

B84ABFDA-6118-46F8-9ACF-3D440F14D68D.jpeg

A Few Bonus Pictures below (Because Who Doesn’t Love Those)

9E0E3BA9-6DE5-4DE5-9DF3-0C2B1EF6A994.jpeg

5CEBC67E-DCAC-4B21-AA35-298C70538FD2.jpeg

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone would like th PDF version of this,I can send it, just shoot a message with your email. The PDF was to large to upload on here.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! I'm sure its not doing much functionally but i like the little hood/visor they molded into the tops of them.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up! I'm sure its not doing much functionally but i like the little hood/visor they molded into the tops of them.
Thanks NateMob, yeah I don’t know that it has any effect on how these function, but I am a fan of the hood/visor look.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, how many sets of lights did you earn writing a review this detailed?
Hahaha, just the discount I mentioned on the 2 sets(HP and Sport). Based on the companies reaction to the PDF I sent, even they weren't expecting it to be this detailed. I really wanted to do a service to the buyer to make an informed decision. I also hope that in doing detailed reviews like this that maybe it will open up more avenues for me doing them for other companies/products in the future. My goal is to remain unbiased through them all.