Do 2020 Raptors need the catch can modification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmh

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum, and am about to pull the trigger on a new, leftover 2020 base model SCAB which my local dealer has in stock and is offering a good discount on. My biggest concern is red or silver grey.

Other than wishing I could retrofit a larger, 36 gallon tank in a SCAB (I don't think that is possible due to the shorter wheelbase, but please prove me wrong) I only have one remaining issue - should I buy and install a catch can on the crankcase breather?

I understand that some early versions of the 3.5 developed carbon deposits, but has Ford figured this out for the 2019 and 2020 models?

Should an issue arise with the engine, will this modification void the warranty?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A catch can is not needed unless you’re going to be using the truck for competition/high performance driving events. The factory PCV has an oil separator built into the valve cover. These engines are dual injection, meaning both port (conventional) and direct. This prevents carbon from building up in the intake ports and valves.

IncognitoDB

Reaction score
A catch can is not needed unless you’re going to be using the truck for competition/high performance driving events. The factory PCV has an oil separator built into the valve cover. These engines are dual injection, meaning both port (conventional) and direct. This prevents carbon from building up in the intake ports and valves.

Would a catch can be beneficial if I make alot of short drives? I only live about 2.5 miles away from the office & unless i take a coffee detour engine temp doesn't warm up all the way.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I say it needs one if you don't want that crap going into your intake where it doesn't belong.

20200219_174911.jpg

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a catch can installed and it drains about 2-3oz every month, but I've seen pics of oil in other guy cans looking milk or light brown. Mine actually looks like I just pulled an oil sample from the drain pan. Not sure if that's good, bad or doesn't matter.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*SIGH* Unfortunately the majority of the moisture trapped in those catch cans are the result of the catch can setup itself. The hoses that attach it are prime areas for moisture condensation that collects in the can. Ever notice just how SHORT the OEM PCV hoses are. That's for a specific reason. I'm a firm believer in catch cans where actually needed in turbo-direct injection(only) engines, but the Raptor 3.5 doesn't have the usual direct injection problems because it also uses port injection. In fact, it operates on the port injection MOST of the time. The direct injection is used mainly under heavy loads, high(er) rpm situations where high-cylinder pressure detonation would be present on a port-only engine.

Obviously people can do whatever they want, but know that the Raptor 3.5 EB does NOT "need" a catch can setup at all.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As far as I'm concerned it does need one if you don’t want that crap in your intake where it simply doesn't belong period.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very good 10 plus year friend of mine is a recently retired Ford engineer. I told him I was planning on a catch can on my new 2020 scab and I asked him which one was best. He said whichever one I thought looked best because it was eye candy anyway. He said they tested them and they had no long term effect because of the dual injection. But he also said it won't hurt if I just had to do it...

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention he totally agreed with the hoses and catch can itself being great condensors that condense and trap all the vapor that would harmlessly pass through the system.

He went on to say when you greatly increase boost you create more blow by therefore the higher crankcase pressures will tend to create more of a build up of residue.