DIY - Stock Raptor 2.5 Shock Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips or tricks for breaking loose a stubborn top bearing cap? I have a gland wrench but the shock body is loosening from the bottom cap not top. I’ve tried a vice on the shock body, ratcheting strap, but to no avail. At this point I was considering buying a new body and bearing cap but I don’t think I’ll be able to pull the IFP and valve stock out through the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soak overnight with you favorite flavor penetrating oil. Try an oil filter wrench on the body? I found a rubbery strap wrench I use on my oil filter, although with too much torque it tends to dent the thin filters . Pipe tong or vice might **** up the body, but worst case I don't think that particular part is very expensive (is it?). I lucked out on mine and held the lower bearing in a vice, it wouldn't budge even if I wanted it to...
20180406_095148.jpg

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding both the front and rear shocks. A few helpful hints. First the spanner wrench listed above comes with small screw in nubs. Ditch those. Go to the local hardware store and get some 1/4 x 24 grade 8 bolts and thread those into the spanner for a much better fit. Second. It may be obvious to some but the piston shaft takes up oil volume, so fully extend it before installing. Third clean up the inside of the rear bypass tube before pulling cap out. Corrosion will mar the surface of the IFP when pulling it out. Last on the rears install the IFP then fill the main tube with some fluid and plunge the IFP to remove trapped air. Then set the IFP depth. The biggest issue I had with the rebuild was the fluid levels. I also did not purchase a nitrogen setup, instead I'm having the local ATV shop charge all four shocks for $50.

Mitch33

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks for breaking loose a stubborn top bearing cap? I have a gland wrench but the shock body is loosening from the bottom cap not top. I’ve tried a vice on the shock body, ratcheting strap, but to no avail. At this point I was considering buying a new body and bearing cap but I don’t think I’ll be able to pull the IFP and valve stock out through the bottom.

I had the same problem with one of my front shocks I ended up placing it in the in the vice and used a couple thick rubber hoist pads on either side of it and set it all the way down in the vice I had to clamp it very tight before I got the cap loose but it didn't damage the body.
If that had not worked for me my next step would have been to heat it up with a MAPP gas plumber's torch, but obviously if you do that make sure you have the nitrogen pressure released first.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up marring the hell out of the outer shock body and couldn’t bust the end cap loose. For the sake of downtime I ordered a new strut from Lasco auto parts to get the truck back in service. I’m going to pick up a chain wrench and get the original shock apart and buy a replacement body from SDHQ and rebuild it as a spare.

mechanic0078

Reaction score
I am going to start buying all the stuff to rebuild my own shocks. I want to do a shradder valve conversion but I heard you have to tap the threads and also heard the opposite. Can any of you guys help me. Wich company makes the ones that just thread on?

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score