DIY - Stock Raptor 2.5 Shock Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m far from an expert on rebuilds but I agree with you, there is definitely some pressure behind the IFP. My next step would be to unscrew the bottom cap off the shock. That would allow access below the IFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrAust1n

Reaction score
I’m far from an expert on rebuilds but I agree with you, there is definitely some pressure behind the IFP. My next step would be to unscrew the bottom cap off the shock. That would allow access below the IFP

Thank you! I'll do exactly that, slowly... every so slowly turning that thing to ensure whatever pressure is there doesn't send the tube through the roof. Will let you know how that one turns out :)

MrAust1n

Reaction score
wow. were these opened up before, or no way to tell?

The previous owner messaged me. Turns out he bought it from the dealership and never had them rebuilt. May have actually came out of the factory that way. Hard to believe but crazy either way.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy 2 IFPs!! I wouldn’t of believed it without the video! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrAust1n

Reaction score
Glad I'm past the multiple IFP fiasco.

Now, can anyone tell me what the expected behavior of a rebuilt shock would be (I've not had internal bypass in the past)? After rebuilding both and setting the IFP a few mm below the retainer ring, as well as completing the rest of the build without issue, I gave both to a local fabrication shop. He said he had charged to 240psi.

When I compress one, I see resistance with as much compression as I can see with my own 210lb body weight.

However, when I turn the other upside down and force the shaft against a solid surface, I see resistance up until 75% compression/insertion. The shaft reacts as I'd expect and pushes its way back to full extension. However, If I push further, with only 6" or less of shaft remaining, the shaft barely moves. It will slowly.... SLOWLY begin pushing out. once it hits that ~6" mark, it will more quickly extend out of the shock.

Sounds like one shock might not have charged properly but I'm curious if there's anyway this behavior could be caused by the replacement of seals, if done improperly. Mainly, i want to be sure I know it was a faulty nitrogen charge before I point a finger..

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A correct shock will be very hard to PUSH down. at 210 will take all your body weight and maybe then some depending on charge to did. I am 280 and it take a lot of my weight.