Desert National Wildlife Refuge: Courtesy of John

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took a last minute birthday trip to Las Vegas. I had wanted to link up again with the illustrious @John M but unfortunately couldn't make that happen so I took John's recommendation instead and headed out with wife and dog solo.

I don't know if you can call an area larger than two Rhode Islands' a "hidden" gem, but nestled just North of Las Vegas lies the Desert National Wildlife Refuge which is a seriously impressive piece of landscape and worth checking out if you get the chance! Unfortunately there's no hookers and blow out here so we damn well had the place to ourselves, what a shame everyone wants to stay indoors getting a new variant and lung cancer. More Joshua Trees and snow for me then!

Today's adventure took us along Mormon Well Road, a scenic 36 mile route that essentially connects Rte 95 and Rte 93 cutting straight through the park. There are offshoots galore and I'm sure you could spend a week in there and still not see everything.

Today was Maple's first day offroading so I wasn't too sure how she'd handle it. For a 7 month old pup she did great! Gave me a few dirty looks through some of the rougher spots but I rewarded her with some quality stick time for being such a good girl.

From start to finish the trail took us about 3.5 hours including some stops. The trail was extremely rough in spots and it was slow going overall. In hindsight I should have aired down and it might have been a more comfortable ride. Would've loved to see some wildlife but they heard I was a friend of John's so everyone ran.20220116_115036.jpg20220116_115103.jpg20220116_122511.jpg20220116_122514.jpg20220116_122533.jpg

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Took a last minute birthday trip to Las Vegas. I had wanted to link up again with the illustrious @John M but unfortunately couldn't make that happen so I took John's recommendation instead and headed out with wife and dog solo.

I don't know if you can call an area larger than two Rhode Islands' a "hidden" gem, but nestled just North of Las Vegas lies the Desert National Wildlife Refuge which is a seriously impressive piece of landscape and worth checking out if you get the chance! Unfortunately there's no hookers and blow out here so we damn well had the place to ourselves, what a shame everyone wants to stay indoors getting a new variant and lung cancer. More Joshua Trees and snow for me then!

Today's adventure took us along Mormon Well Road, a scenic 36 mile route that essentially connects Rte 95 and Rte 93 cutting straight through the park. There are offshoots galore and I'm sure you could spend a week in there and still not see everything.

Today was Maple's first day offroading so I wasn't too sure how she'd handle it. For a 7 month old pup she did great! Gave me a few dirty looks through some of the rougher spots but I rewarded her with some quality stick time for being such a good girl.

From start to finish the trail took us about 3.5 hours including some stops. The trail was extremely rough in spots and it was slow going overall. In hindsight I should have aired down and it might have been a more comfortable ride. Would've loved to see some wildlife but they heard I was a friend of John's so everyone ran.
Great pictures, I'm so glad you enjoyed it out there. My favorite parts are Peekaboo Canyon and the top of the pass. Did you run into any snow at the top? When the Ftards head up to Mt Charleston we head up there to play in the Snow. You are Right..It would take you well over a month to begin to explore just the main roads and the side Canyons. I forgot to warn you it is slow going out there, a pretty rocky ride everywhere you go. There are some fantastic hikes up there as well. Give me a heads up when you come back, sorry I missed y'all this trip.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pictures, I'm so glad you enjoyed it out there. My favorite parts are Peekaboo Canyon and the top of the pass. Did you run into any snow at the top? When the Ftards head up to Mt Charleston we head up there to play in the Snow. You are Right..It would take you well over a month to begin to explore just the main roads and the side Canyons. I forgot to warn you it is slow going out there, a pretty rocky ride everywhere you go. There are some fantastic hikes up there as well. Give me a heads up when you come back, sorry I missed y'all this trip.
I just uploaded some more photos! There was still some snow hanging around at the summit so that was a great surprise. Also didn't realize the summit was at 6600', the change in scenery as you ascend and descend is really neat too!

Next time for sure! :D

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I just uploaded some more photos! There was still some snow hanging around at the summit so that was a great surprise. Also didn't realize the summit was at 6600', the change in scenery as you ascend and descend is really neat too!

Next time for sure! :D
The transition from the Joshua Tree Forest into the Pines is Beautiful indeed!