Deletes, Heated mirrors and heated steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorUSN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my window sticker (10/28 blend) and confirms the heated steering wheel delete that will be applied to all F-150 MY23 platforms that have the option. As far as heated side mirrors, rear seats and appliqué they are not impacted as of now.

For all those asking/mentioning future heated wheel back fits my FMC corporate intel has told me it’s not just because of a chip shortage driving the deletion, but the actual heating element internal to the wheel will not be there. This was a broader impact whereas the side mirrors was just chip and FMC decided to procure more of those to not have to delete that in the future as well.

OP
OP
X

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall might get a heated wheel just in time for next summer.

The heated steering wheel removal option – officially called Steering Wheel – Heat Removal (94X) Removal of Heated Steering Wheel – is mandatory on all new orders – including both scheduled and unscheduled orders – and has already been implemented. However, Ford will announce a Field Service Action in the future to restore heated steering wheel functionality, though it’s unclear at this time when that might be. Ford is making this temporary change in an effort to deliver customer vehicles more quickly.

I am not confident the lightning and ICE trucks are similar enough to translate, until I see something like this referencing the ICE trucks. Due to the EV system architecture it might be different enough that something they were relying on an old style chip controller to do can be augmented by writing software to manage directly.

Even the value of the delete is less $50 vs $140 for the ICE trucks

OP
OP
X

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my window sticker (10/28 blend) and confirms the heated steering wheel delete that will be applied to all F-150 MY23 platforms that have the option. As far as heated side mirrors, rear seats and appliqué they are not impacted as of now.

For all those asking/mentioning future heated wheel back fits my FMC corporate intel has told me it’s not just because of a chip shortage driving the deletion, but the actual heating element internal to the wheel will not be there. This was a broader impact whereas the side mirrors was just chip and FMC decided to procure more of those to not have to delete that in the future as well.
did your source have any POV on how long the heating elements would be unavailable and when they might restore the option?

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If this is the case, put the rest of the architecture in the truck so they can sell me the correct steering wheel when they become available for $140 and I'll install it myself. Problem solved.;)

rohardi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is the case, put the rest of the architecture in the truck so they can sell me the correct steering wheel when they become available for $140 and I'll install it myself. Problem solved.;)
The question is what component is the missing link? Is it the steering wheel, a chip or something in the wiring?

trav7314

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not confident the lightning and ICE trucks are similar enough to translate, until I see something like this referencing the ICE trucks. Due to the EV system architecture it might be different enough that something they were relying on an old style chip controller to do can be augmented by writing software to manage directly.

Even the value of the delete is less $50 vs $140 for the ICE trucks
The $50 is for the inconvenience of getting it later, the $140 is complete omission.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford is plenty smart. They know these trucks are selling well so why bother.

Besides, they don’t want 1000s of trucks storming the service departments for retrofits with free labor. They have a hard enough time handling scheduled service and warranty work.

I still refuse to believe that parts alone being omitted are only worth $140.
The parts are going to be much more than that bought from a large supplier at a discount. Ford can possibly source them for that, but we will see what it takes to get it up and running.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, while these shortages suck and are a sign to some extent of mediocre/poor supply chain management and an over reliance on just in time process to protect cash flow make shareholders happier.... ford does not WANT to de-content these trucks it is almost as big of a pain in the ass for them and their dealers as it is for potential customers.

Whether the controller is embedded in the wheel or somewhere under the dash probably matters most to the ease of retrofit.

I personally think it would be a worthwhile investment for automakers to put together some project teams to design retrofits across their product lines for vehicles impacted. Even if it was cost to consumer to implement the retrofit, take rate might not fully justify the ROI but I think it would add alot to consumer satisfaction.
On my '20 there was a separate HSWM that went behind the dash, and has a button on the touch screen. IIRC, 21+ uses the SECM for heating control, and comes with a physical button. Definitely all parts you can install, add pins to or flash after the fact, but integration will be interesting.

RaptorUSN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did your source have any POV on how long the heating elements would be unavailable and when they might restore the option?
I asked the question but they did not have any idea as to when or if it would get restored.

NewRap4Me

Reaction score
I think I’ve had a heated steering wheel in all my suv’s since 2016 and spend more time turning them off than turning it on. As long as I can remote start, I’ll be fine.