Decisions decisions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
drbubbles84

drbubbles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take. The supply pipeline on Ford trucks is currently dry. The Ford dealer near me is one of the larger dealerships in the Northwest. Their lot is empty. They have no inventory to speak of. They can't get vehicles. Not just trucks but anything. Normally they have several hundred F-Series/SD's in stock. If this is an example of dealerships across the country it is going to take time to fill the pipeline back to what it was. Two fold problem with that. #1 which trucks are Ford going to build? One model that sells 20k-25k units per year (Raptor) or the one that sells 600k+ per year (F150). This I feel is going to make the first run of Raptors very sparse. The second part of that issue is supply and demand on the Raptors keeping the prices high and ADM's very high. I don't see this improving until 2022-2023. Hopefully I am wrong, but the writing is on the wall.
You're right. It's a bad time all the way around. And the point about the resale value of the Raptor is also well taken.

Question is then, buy something less fancy now and wait? Buy Raptor and trade it for an R? Buy TRX and trade for an R?

BGCPrez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been struggling with something similar. I have a 2013 SCREW and love it. I'm also a techy and need the new tech but I don't want a V6. I would like to get a Type R (based on what I've been hearing about it). Right now I can easily get $45k for my truck and possibly push $50k but then I need something to drive until the R comes out and the price comes close to MSRP. I'm thinking to keep it till then but will the demand for used trucks drop more than the cost of getting something in between?

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take. The supply pipeline on Ford trucks is currently dry. The Ford dealer near me is one of the larger dealerships in the Northwest. Their lot is empty. They have no inventory to speak of. They can't get vehicles. Not just trucks but anything. Normally they have several hundred F-Series/SD's in stock. If this is an example of dealerships across the country it is going to take time to fill the pipeline back to what it was. Two fold problem with that. #1 which trucks are Ford going to build? One model that sells 20k-25k units per year (Raptor) or the one that sells 600k+ per year (F150). This I feel is going to make the first run of Raptors very sparse. The second part of that issue is supply and demand on the Raptors keeping the prices high and ADM's very high. I don't see this improving until 2022-2023. Hopefully I am wrong, but the writing is on the wall.
Unfortunately I think you’re right. It ****** sucks but it is what it is.

OP
OP
drbubbles84

drbubbles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been struggling with something similar. I have a 2013 SCREW and love it. I'm also a techy and need the new tech but I don't want a V6. I would like to get a Type R (based on what I've been hearing about it). Right now I can easily get $45k for my truck and possibly push $50k but then I need something to drive until the R comes out and the price comes close to MSRP. I'm thinking to keep it till then but will the demand for used trucks drop more than the cost of getting something in between?
Yeah that was my issue. I sold my Silverado Trail Boss for more than I bought it for, driving around in a Volvo S90 (gas mileage) daily driver. I can wait, but I don't really want to!

Shekkie2432

Reaction score
I love the SC v8, I love the looks, I love the ridiculousness of it and I don’t really dislike anything about it EXCEPT that it’s a Dodge and they earned their reputation. I am not a hater but I just couldn’t do it. Every time a new model of their’s hooks me in I drive it and come away disappointed.

Good luck with your dilemma......win-win.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I have read that hyperinflation is going to take hold next year and I don't see any reason that it won't. You might want to get into something soon! Joking, not joking.:)

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is then... Buy TRX and trade for an R?
That's what I've decided to do. I got a 21 trx ordered. Of course with a nice black, not blue, not Smurf blue interior, but a beautiful black interior with red stitching. For a beautiful black truck with a beautiful 702 HP 650 lb tq SC V8. One that almost sucks as much gas and uses up enough carbon footprint to equal John Kerry's Jet... Makes me feel Great doing so too! :favorites37:

However if the R comes out and is everything we think it's going to be, I will be flipping the trx for the R, as long as I have a choice of interiors, AND Ford steps up their game on the interior.

I also agree that inflation is coming, and prices are going to be rising quickly, so if you can find a truck now, I would buy it. Besides your current truck if you are trading in, is worth its weight in gold! (Well, not really, but you know what I mean!)

I also think America better get its head out of its ass and start bringing home some of these jobs like semiconductors... And get ALL these bums who are in control out of control as soon as possible...

OP
OP
drbubbles84

drbubbles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh yeah, I still can't believe the shortages that we're running into. I work in a hospital and the medication shortages are a commonplace thing now... We're supposed to be a first world country!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Back to the forum after years being away!

So I had a first gen raptor that I sold back in 2015 and regret it every day. I'm back in a position to buy another one, but I'm debating between the Raptor and a TRX (don't flame me!). I can order a '22 TRX for 5k under MSRP... but would honestly prefer the Raptor. Problem is, it's buying a TRX for essentially the same price as the Raptor, because can't find a place that'll let me order a Raptor for under MSRP.

The other option is to buy a regular F150 or Ram and wait for the early run on the trucks to die down and buy one when they're more reasonably priced.

Thoughts?
I’ve got a 2021 TRX Level 2 on order for roughly $5,000 off sticker (most dealers within 500 miles are $10,000 - $20,000 over sticker). The kicker is I am being offered $4,000 more than what I paid for my Raptor a year ago. I honestly wasn’t planning on doing anything, but it’s an offer I couldn’t pass on. The TRX should be here in a few more weeks. I was going to wait on the Raptor R, but if/when that thing comes out the markups are going to be a bad joke.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d be laughing like hell if some how Ford turned the Baja world upside down and came out with the Raptor R for what may be a very good price and undercut the TRX. Something like they just done with the Lightning to competitors. The deciding factor here would be, if they wanted the R limited production or willing to make as many as they can sell.