Dealer Negotiation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptordan2021

Reaction score
I wanted to get a feel from the experienced raptor owners as I’m a newbie and my first truck will be the gen 3. My dealer is selling me the truck at MSRP and said “we can figure something out” when I inquired about throwing in some extras such as tints, all weather mats and possibly bed liner tonneau cover. What’s other past experiences with negotiating these extras and what should I aim for?

BossRaptor

Reaction score
I would have everything put in writing for one. In these odd days thats a solid your getting by purchasing your 2021 at MSRP. Whatever else your getting I would consider it a bonus. Good luck with the process.

wweaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can figure something out will lead to msrp when it gets there and the computer will say how much those items are. Get it in writing, like all negotiations aim for the sky.... then settle for tint and floor mats. Any extras and msrp is a good deal on a 21 given the truck demand.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have something in writing that you're getting MSRP? If not, that's step one. Then I'd figure out how much comparable quality options will cost on the aftermarket and be ready to settle for that price. Ask for more, sure, but realize that your bargaining power is pretty limited on a high-demand new release. The optional stuff is pricey and profitable, so they have room to move. Good luck and keep us posted.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They’re called stealerships for a reason.

Just understand a few basics first.
1) MSRP is not a good price. Blah, blah, blah...Raptor... blah, blah, blah. MSRP is a market adjusted, over inflated price. After a model year, the truck will fall in value to a more reasonable amount for what it is. You’re in a bad market, and buying a 1st year model with high demand, so gamesmanship is strong at this time. I know, my last vehicle decided to get uncooperative in 2016 and I decided to go for the Rap; 1st year Gen2. You’re paying basically 4-7k more than people will about a year to 18 months from now, all things being equal. Add to that the current market shortage and you have a recipe for being a seller’s market.
2) get it in writing, even if it’s just a text message. I negotiated my entire deal start to finish by sms text on my ’17. I called to put money down on it, but the stealership did not waste my time. This is a lot of “subjective feeling” but if you get a fishy vibe, it’s probably for a reason.
3) get it in writing or as the saying goes ‘it never happened’. OTOH, don’t let add ons tank a “relatively” good deal and in the current market, MSRP is kind of the standard.

Good luck !

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wanted to get a feel from the experienced raptor owners as I’m a newbie and my first truck will be the gen 3. My dealer is selling me the truck at MSRP and said “we can figure something out” when I inquired about throwing in some extras such as tints, all weather mats and possibly bed liner tonneau cover. What’s other past experiences with negotiating these extras and what should I aim for?
Raptors come with only all weather floor mats so you will not have to ask for that.

OP
OP
R

raptordan2021

Reaction score
They’re called stealerships for a reason.

Just understand a few basics first.
1) MSRP is not a good price. Blah, blah, blah...Raptor... blah, blah, blah. MSRP is a market adjusted, over inflated price. After a model year, the truck will fall in value to a more reasonable amount for what it is. You’re in a bad market, and buying a 1st year model with high demand, so gamesmanship is strong at this time. I know, my last vehicle decided to get uncooperative in 2016 and I decided to go for the Rap; 1st year Gen2. You’re paying basically 4-7k more than people will about a year to 18 months from now, all things being equal. Add to that the current market shortage and you have a recipe for being a seller’s market.
2) get it in writing, even if it’s just a text message. I negotiated my entire deal start to finish by sms text on my ’17. I called to put money down on it, but the stealership did not waste my time. This is a lot of “subjective feeling” but if you get a fishy vibe, it’s probably for a reason.
3) get it in writing or as the saying goes ‘it never happened’. OTOH, don’t let add ons tank a “relatively” good deal and in the current market, MSRP is kind of the standard.

Good luck !
Of note, I Did have them send me the price out of the door with the taxes and all in pdf form so that way there’s no surprises when I pick up the vehicle. I’ve pretty much Secured the price of the truck. I asked him throw something on top of the truck since I’m buying a 75k truck. It’s not like I’m buying a 30k mustang they should be able to throw something in especially given that I’m paying msrp which I’m sure few customers prior to the shortage did.

OP
OP
R

raptordan2021

Reaction score
Just remember, they can find someone else with no effort that will pay MSRP with no add ons.
Yeah I agree I’m going to take the truck regardless but it doesn’t hurt to try to get them to throw something in. At the end of the day you’re still dropping 75k for a vehicle. They’d rather you take it right there and then than try to search for someone else who will. They want to close the deal ASAP.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree I’m going to take the truck regardless but it doesn’t hurt to try to get them to throw something in. At the end of the day you’re still dropping 75k for a vehicle. They’d rather you take it right there and then than try to search for someone else who will. They want to close the deal ASAP.
Don’t be so sure. Depending on the market when your order arrives they may be able to sell your truck for $5,000 -$10k more than MSRP and might just say, “beat it” and refund you your deposit if you try to pull something in the finance office. It’s worth a shot to try and get some freebies now but I wouldn’t play games when it’s time to take delivery.