Dealers suck?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Yes, but further down the choices list

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a spring compressor , droop suspension to max and re install, clock the spring until it seats and release the compress…

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d assume a tech that’s used to swapping shocks on leaf spring trucks might not support the axle when unbolting the shock. With a coil rear end the shock is keeping the axle from dropping to the point the spring can slip out of the bucket. With a leaf spring truck I’m pretty sure you could unbolt the shock at full droop without supporting the axle. I’ve always placed a jack under the axle when doing it so I could be wrong.

I’m more concerned with the report of it happening on the trail. It’s a bit surprising there’s nothing locking the spring in to the buckets at the top and bottom. If it’s doing this to stock setups those spacers to lift the rear end seem like a really bad idea.
I guess this is possible since he is on a lift and you and I are on the ground so the axle has to be supported but even then I think the mechanic would have to remove the Panhard Bar for the axle to drop and the spring to come out.

A heavy-duty ratchet strap can condense a spring enough to get it back into place. I've done it on the trail before. Super dangerous way. Always buy a high-quality spring condenser with multiple safety points. I've heard the horror stories. The best way mechanically to put on springs is to always drop the axel so that all of the other components get retorqued to spec.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this is possible since he is on a lift and you and I are on the ground so the axle has to be supported but even then I think the mechanic would have to remove the Panhard Bar for the axle to drop and the spring to come out.

A heavy-duty ratchet strap can condense a spring enough to get it back into place. I've done it on the trail before. Super dangerous way. Always buy a high-quality spring condenser with multiple safety points. I've heard the horror stories. The best way mechanically to put on springs is to always drop the axel so that all of the other components get retorqued to spec.
Ya, I’m not sure, this is my first non-leaf truck and I haven’t had to pull the shocks yet.

For a trail fix, I’m thinking similar to you, although a little sketchy. Use a rachet strap to secure the spring from extending while under the weight of the truck. Slowly jack up the rear to take weight off and maneuver spring back into place without killing your self.

If you have 2 jacks, could possibly support axle, remove wheel, lift rear end, lower axle a bit to remove tension, pull lower shock bolt, and put the spring back into place.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
See pictures. Pretty pissed off….
….
Not going to touch it myself, but pretty pissed off. How can they screw this up?

View attachment 403576View attachment 403577

Have you done any off-roading or even on-roading that would have fully extended the rear suspension?

It would seem likely that your shock replacement is the scenario for your issue, but the fella off-roading photo says there may be something else contributing…

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its so sad the state that ford dealers have fallen to. Everyone I talk to DREADS taking their vehicle in. Every time I go .... its an issue. Lies, broken promises, more lies. I'm so glad I'm not a service advisor anymore.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Its so sad the state that ford dealers have fallen to. Everyone I talk to DREADS taking their vehicle in. Every time I go .... its an issue. Lies, broken promises, more lies. I'm so glad I'm not a service advisor anymore.
Yeah, it is a dreadful experience. I agree. Took it to one dealer and they said one thing. Took it to another dealer (same ownership group in the next town) and they 100% contradicted the other dealer. This was for warranty work. I know there are good ones out there, but there are a lot that are making it impossible to trust any of them.

OP- So, did you get it fixed? They explain what happened?

OP
OP
RedRptr

RedRptr

Reaction score
It’s in the shop now. They came and flat towed it in.

No, no off-roading. Not even a speed bump. I drove the truck home from having the shocks replaced, then parked it. The next day is when I noticed the strange stance, and later that same day (without driving) I went back out on a hunch to look underneath. That’s when I saw the spring out of its place.

So while off-reading or full extension scenarios may cause this as well, I can assure you that I did not put the vehicle in those scenarios once I got it back.

I was under the impression that the top spring spacer (and to some degree the spring) were held in place by a nut and bolt. I know some designs have this. Is that not the case on Gen 3?

I agree with everyone, service department tech quality has gone to almost zero and it’s just a crapshoot to get quality work done, under warranty, and have that work be reliable. For now it seems ford is just throwing cash at the problem. Doesn’t seem sustainable to me…