GEN 1 Shock Rebuild Foutz > SDHQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience, I had debated for awhile the rebuild vs buying new 3.0, but really wasnt wanting to drop $5k on shocks and they really needed a rebuild, so I had the shocks rebuilt by a local shop (SDHQ) and upgrading to their tie rods, after pulling the truck apart they call and tell me I need to replace upper arms and lower ball joints, as well as 2 shock shafts, and I had to do so to retain their warranty on their work. Turned a $2500 bill into $4k, but I just wanted the truck back to 100% so gave the go ahead.

Funny, I had them rebuild my shocks last year and this is verbatim what I was told the day after I dropped my truck off (the rear shock shafts to be exact). I told them no on the UCA and ball joints as it was still covered under the ESP. Ironically enough, the Ford dealership said the UCA and ball joints looked a-okay the following week when I dropped it for an oil change.

Truck rode noticeably better and the shocks are in great shape 20,000 miles later, to SDHQ's credit.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this review. I am in the same spot and after a DIY oil change today, my passenger shock is leaking bad. I have met Greg Foutz on an AZRR trip (as a passenger) and he was a cool dude. I will be going there. SDHQ used to be a great shop, 10 years ago when I had a Jeep anyways...I guess that has changed.