GEN 1 Shock Rebuild Foutz > SDHQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrbsti

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience, I had debated for awhile the rebuild vs buying new 3.0, but really wasnt wanting to drop $5k on shocks and they really needed a rebuild, so I had the shocks rebuilt by a local shop (SDHQ) and upgrading to their tie rods, after pulling the truck apart they call and tell me I need to replace upper arms and lower ball joints, as well as 2 shock shafts, and I had to do so to retain their warranty on their work. Turned a $2500 bill into $4k, but I just wanted the truck back to 100% so gave the go ahead.

Got the truck back and noticed a brake grind 10 miles after leaving shop, start poking around and notice the outside edge of the rotor on driver side it starting to get chewed up even though I had personally replaced them 10k miles previously and no issues since. Also notice that IWE lines are hanging free, literally attached to hub and then then hanging limp running into engine bay, zip tie those out of the way so they dont get ripped out and call SDHQ.

They claim the brakes are probably a stuck caliper pin, they said they would look at it when it comes in for 500 mile re torque.

Fast forward a week later and it goes in for the re torque, after "inspecting" the brakes they say its definitely caliper slide pin and nothing related to the work they did when putting the suspension back together.

So I order new pads and rotors and pull the caliper to see if it just needs grease or if new caliper is needed and as soon as I pull that caliper off I see exactly why my brakes are grinding! These trucks use an inner and an outer pad, inner pad has 2 bumps on the top and when you switch inner pad to the outer position it contacts the inside of the caliper and pushes the pad at a weird angle causing excess wear/grinding/binding. Very noticeable issue that people discover pretty immediately.

How I got the truck back, both inner pads were on the drivers caliper, and both outer pads were on passenger side. Also noticed new torque mark paint on the caliper bracket bolts on both driver/passenger. After discussion with SDHQ on this (I was originally told they didnt touch the brakes) they came to the conclusion that it must have come in like that, and it conveniently started eating up the rotor 10 miles after picking it up from them. At this point I was a bit irritated after spending $4k for the suspension work with them, but no biggie, its like $200 in rotors/pads and it would have needed to be done sooner or later.

Fast forward a month later, truck had felt great up until this time but started to get a weird vibration/shudder in the front passenger over certain bumps and the truck really wanted to pull to the right at those times (bumpsteer), reach out to SDHQ to see their thoughts and to get alignment specs to see where caster/toe was set. No response, try again, and again. No response after a week of emails and calls.

Finally gets to a point 6 months and 7k miles later where its clear that the shocks are needing rebuild, or at minimum a nitrogen recharge. Rear is all over the place, truck was iffy on pavement and down right useless in dirt. Reach out again as at this point I'm pretty irritated, the rebuild should get minimally 15k out of it, mostly street with dirt trips occasional weekends. At this point they tell me I'm out of the 90 day shock warranty (first time they ever mentioned 90 days) and that they can check the pressure but would be charging labor and that they can add rear schraders but that the front is "impossible" to add schraders to. We go back and forth and its pretty clear they dont give a ****, said its a 90 day warranty and tough luck. At this point I say screw it, after the half assed work I got from them I really didnt want them touching the truck, much less paying them to do so.

Still debating the switch to 3.0s and rebuild or just buying new 2.5s, make a few calls and get in contact with Jake at Foutz Motorsports. By far the best experience I have had with any shop to date, super knowledgeable (they did a vast amount of the work on the Gen1 & Gen2 trucks Ford ran in Baja).
Decide to have them rebuild and I am pleasantly surprised to hear they do schraders as standard.
They had the truck in within the week and done in 1 day, finally back to the nice ride and will be putting them through the paces on dirt.

Long story short, if you are in AZ or really anywhere in the nation, save yourself the hassle and headache and go with Foutz from the beginning. They can get anything you could need for these trucks and even build some of their own stuff, including their own long travel kit. I even showed up early to get the truck and we talked for a good hour about the Raptor R and plans for future upgrades. Couldn't be happier to finally have a working truck to truly enjoy again!

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pad difference between inner and outer pad issue is such common ford knowledge surprised that would happen.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Foutz is a top notch shop , they installed my Icon leaf springs while i waited on my Gen 1. I usually do my own work but knee issues and my friend who helps me had lower back issues at the time. Thinking of having them do some work on my 19 here soon.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was doing some research on the cams that were used in the Raptor X that Foutz built for Ford to raced in the 2010 Baja 1000. Make a long story short, Greg Foutz returned my call, and spent a solid 45 min on the phone discussing that project as well as a few others. He didnt need to, but he took the time to do it.
Great guy, great shop.

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long story short do your own work, no offense good sir....if it's gunna be f, ed up its because of me
Couldn’t agree more! Still sorry to hear about your ridiculous troubles with SDHQ, shouldn’t happen to anyone, live and learn I guess.

OP
OP
wrbsti

wrbsti

Reaction score
The pad difference between inner and outer pad issue is such common ford knowledge surprised that would happen.

I was surprised as well, funny thing is they even mentioned afterwards that its a common mistake, but that they definitely didnt do it...

long story short do your own work, no offense good sir....if it's gunna be f, ed up its because of me

I agree, I usually do, however the shock rebuild was a bit more than I wanted to take on right now. Hindsight is 20/20 lol

Foutz is a top notch shop , they installed my Icon leaf springs while i waited on my Gen 1. I usually do my own work but knee issues and my friend who helps me had lower back issues at the time. Thinking of having them do some work on my 19 here soon.

I was pleasantly surprised with them, makes me tempted to have them build a long travel kit and cage it lol, need a dd first though.

I was doing some research on the cams that were used in the Raptor X that Foutz built for Ford to raced in the 2010 Baja 1000. Make a long story short, Greg Foutz returned my call, and spent a solid 45 min on the phone discussing that project as well as a few others. He didnt need to, but he took the time to do it.
Great guy, great shop.

That was one of the biggest things that stood out, they care enough to spend the time to talk and answer questions without trying to ram a product down your throat.

Couldn’t agree more! Still sorry to hear about your ridiculous troubles with SDHQ, shouldn’t happen to anyone, live and learn I guess.

Yep, ****** situation, but wanted to help others avoid making the same mistake!

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what did Foutz charge for the front shock rebuild? Im overdue for a rebuild and was impressed with his shop when I saw it at the AZRR meet & greet last year.

OP
OP
wrbsti

wrbsti

Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what did Foutz charge for the front shock rebuild? Im overdue for a rebuild and was impressed with his shop when I saw it at the AZRR meet & greet last year.

$1250 for all 4 corners, and that's with them pulling the shocks and adding Schraders which most places charge extra for