Dead battery, stuck idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've have a 2012 raptor 6.2l. Truck battery was dead this morning and had it jumped off. Ever since then my rpms are stuck at atleast 5000 rpm. I removed the battery and replaced it. When the truck was off and had no battery the rpms gauge is still stuck at no less than 5000 rpms. The truck wouldn't switch gears. It just reved up beyond the rpm gauge limit. I've tried to move through each gear and I put it in manual and it would only allow me to switch upto 3rd but seemed to do absolutely nothing. Rpms stay at 5000+ while in reverse or neutral. Any help would be nice!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. I think you must of jump started it wrong and shorted something out. Gen 1s do idle high when really cold for a minute, did you let it warm up for a minute for so?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually its idling normal but the gauge is in between 6000 and 7000 at the moment.

Any chance the jumper cables were connected backward or positive/negative contacted each other while hooking them up? It sounds like the Instrument Cluster was in the middle of the gauge sweep self test when it got stuck.

The first thing I would check is battery voltage, as a battery with a bad cell will cause electronics to malfunction. The voltage should be approximately 12.6V with the ignition off. If the voltage is within specification, have the battery tested at your local auto parts store. Sometimes a battery will appear to be functioning properly based on static voltage, but may have internal issues.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
The cables were connected right. Its a new battery. Could it possibly be a bad throttle position sensor and does n e one know how to test one?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we just replaced an instrument cluster on a 12. the speedo needle actually broke at the mount point and would be about 20mph less that what actual speed was. the motor or servo or whatever it is behind worked fine, the needle was no longer permanently mounted to it

Last edited:

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's stuck at 5000rpms and screaming you should have it towed to a shop. It sounds like a electrical short caused by the jump start and those are hard to track down.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He already said it was idling fine.

I had one of the gauges let go after an impact, needle just stopped moving a few days later. Ended up with a replacement cluster.