Commuter Car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at a job change that would add a bit of distance to my commute, as well as a couple road trips a month. I was looking at an inexpensive but still fun car to save some mileage and keep a bit of wear and tear off of my 54k-mi Raptor. I’m looking at FiST and FoST cars in the 10-20k range and might push it to a toyobaru in the low 20’s.

Would you guys think about doing something like this or am I just buying a toy because I want one? I’m thinking the new gig could add as much as 600 miles a month to my current 600. Probably would average out to 1000. These cars basically get double the fuel mileage and miles rule when it comes to Raptor depreciation.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should there be a bingo for a commuter car?

i have an 01 honda civic 5 speed. 27mpg almost 4 times what my truck gets. bought it for $1600
It’s hard to find under 100k mile cars with manual transmissions so the equivalent 2015 car like this is still 20k. I like Bluetooth and airbags too, otherwise I found a neat early 00’s 300zx with lower miles that could be fun.

Also fount a MT ATS 2.0T that pulls 29mpg highway supposedly so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I commend you guys that do this stuff. There is no way I could drive some cheap little car for the majority of my travels because I don’t want to put miles on my nice truck. Sorry OP. I know it’s not a helpful post but dang.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I use mine for work, about 25k miles a year. No way I'm gonna die in a crash in some compact trash, I will did like a man doing something horrific! :)

I don't think another 600 miles per month makes the numbers work when you consider insurance, tags, maintenance, depreciation on 2 vehicles, pener shrinkage, etc.

Last edited:

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12K miles a year…. Just drive the raptor. Buying eco cars to save on gas money doesn’t always pencil out. Then you are spending all that time in some shit box watching other raptors drive by you. Buy an old C5 or C6 vette if you want to save money on HWY gas.