COBB tuning Raptor tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be clear.

They say you don’t need it because they don’t offer it. For them to say otherwise is to endorse the other tuners who can offer that feature.

Further, you don’t NEED to tune your truck either. You tuned it because it IMPROVES the power over stock. You don’t NEED to tune the transmission, but it’s a whole lot better when you do.

You’ve not had a transmission tune on the Raptor so you don’t know what you’re missing. You think you like your Cobb tune. If I let you drive my truck, you would change your mind.

Do some timed runs and see if you can get to 60 in 4.2 seconds. Without a transmission tune I’m willing to bet you’re luckily if you do it in 5.

I’m not sure about the others, but to me it’s about Cobb’s reputation and reliability and safety as a tuner. I wouldn’t trust any of the other tuner companies, personally. Not that I have any experience with them, because I don’t. Cobb has built a reputation for conservative and careful tuning over almost 20 years. Many of my friends have had Cobb tuned cars, often more reliable or just as reliable as stock. No CELs, wrench codes, random limps, etc.

So to be honest, if Cobb says I don’t need a transmission tune at Stage 1, I believe them. I haven’t had any problems with the transmission before the tune, and until I do with the Cobb tune, I don’t see any reason to doubt them.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They say you don’t need it

You don’t NEED to tune the transmission

Great minds think alike!

To be clear, it is not needed at the Stage 1 power level from a safety/driveability standpoint. I don't think anyone disputes that tuning the TCM is better than not tuning the TCM. If TCM tuning is a priority for anyone, and they need it immediately, I would not recommend the Accessport. If you can holdout and in the meantime enjoy some increased power and, in my opinion, some worthy features, the AP is the way to go!

4.2 is pretty quick! When I get some time with a truck I'll slap the vbox in there and see how it does 0-60.

Kyle@COBB

cwylie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to turn off the email notification on this thread because it was filling up my email.... Haha. I did order a Cobb tuner from BoostLogic though.

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great minds think alike!

To be clear, it is not needed at the Stage 1 power level from a safety/driveability standpoint. I don't think anyone disputes that tuning the TCM is better than not tuning the TCM. If TCM tuning is a priority for anyone, and they need it immediately, I would not recommend the Accessport. If you can holdout and in the meantime enjoy some increased power and, in my opinion, some worthy features, the AP is the way to go!

4.2 is pretty quick! When I get some time with a truck I'll slap the vbox in there and see how it does 0-60.

Kyle@COBB

Just so I’m clear, COBB will release a TCM tune, eventually? My stage 1+ should be in today, minus backordered intake :(... and will be looking forward to having the option to tune TCM. I know if y’all are working on it, and haven’t released it yet, it’s because you want it to be perfect. I’m willing to wait!

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle,

Make no mistake. When your TCM tuning is available I’ll be right there in line.

I also know that your TCM tune isn’t available because the TCM in the Raptor is very difficult and the 10 speed is at the center of it. Ford couldn’t get it right from the factory, even.

You guys don’t release anything until it’s done and ready. When you do release TCM tuning, I’m willing to bet you’ll have also unlocked all the parameters that have been been inaccessible up to this point.

So please take no offense to my posts. The folks who buy your product are investing in the long game. They don’t want to spend money on multiple tunes. I’m a here and now kind of guy.

And yes it’ll really run in the low 4s. 4.2 in perfect weather. 4.3-4.4 on a typical run. It still flattens out in the quarter. I haven’t broken into 12. The best I’ve done without TCM tuning is 5... so if you can do better... you’re already ahead. Take her for some runs. The big tires and lack of aerodynamics are self defeating.

Great minds think alike!

Kyle@COBB

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great minds think alike!

Kyle@COBB

I seen the dyno graphs ect....and the 18% increase, I would like to see hard numbers on paper from stock tune to stage 1+ tune...example +75HP +100torque increase (1+) and also the diff running say 87/91/93 octane gas! Can you guys get some numbers?

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen the dyno graphs ect....and the 18% increase, I would like to see hard numbers on paper from stock tune to stage 1+ tune...example +75HP +100torque increase (1+) and also the diff running say 87/91/93 octane gas! Can you guys get some numbers?

Posting numbers would be pointless. Every truck going to put up different numbers, in different areas, climates, different dynos, etc. Way too many variables to base your marketing on set numbers. I like the way they provided % increase over oem.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just so I’m clear, COBB will release a TCM tune, eventually? My stage 1+ should be in today, minus backordered intake :(... and will be looking forward to having the option to tune TCM. I know if y’all are working on it, and haven’t released it yet, it’s because you want it to be perfect. I’m willing to wait!

It will certainly, eventually be available. I don't have a good ETA and pricing is not yet determined. Stay tuned...

Kyle,

Make no mistake. When your TCM tuning is available I’ll be right there in line.

I also know that your TCM tune isn’t available because the TCM in the Raptor is very difficult and the 10 speed is at the center of it. Ford couldn’t get it right from the factory, even.

You guys don’t release anything until it’s done and ready. When you do release TCM tuning, I’m willing to bet you’ll have also unlocked all the parameters that have been been inaccessible up to this point.

So please take no offense to my posts. The folks who buy your product are investing in the long game. They don’t want to spend money on multiple tunes. I’m a here and now kind of guy.

And yes it’ll really run in the low 4s. 4.2 in perfect weather. 4.3-4.4 on a typical run. It still flattens out in the quarter. I haven’t broken into 12. The best I’ve done without TCM tuning is 5... so if you can do better... you’re already ahead. Take her for some runs. The big tires and lack of aerodynamics are self defeating.

No offense taken! I believe it will run low 4s in the right conditions! Looking forward to brake boosting in 4wd and seeing what our tank can do.

If you want to know the exact gains on our dyno, on our truck, on that day, they were:

Stage 1 91 +45 HP +47 TQ over stock
Stage 1 93 +71 HP +90 TQ over stock

Be wary of dyno claims expressed that way though. They're easily manipulated. Using a percentage relative to a baseline keeps it honest. Longer version explanation.

Kyle@COBB

sik jmps

Reaction score
Let’s be clear.

They say you don’t need it because they don’t offer it. For them to say otherwise is to endorse the other tuners who can offer that feature.

Further, you don’t NEED to tune your truck either. You tuned it because it IMPROVES the power over stock. You don’t NEED to tune the transmission, but it’s a whole lot better when you do.

You’ve not had a transmission tune on the Raptor so you don’t know what you’re missing. You think you like your Cobb tune. If I let you drive my truck, you would change your mind.

Do some timed runs and see if you can get to 60 in 4.2 seconds. Without a transmission tune I’m willing to bet you’re luckily if you do it in 5.

I don’t really have a problem with your stance on this and I don’t really disagree, I’m just saying that it isn’t what drove my decision on this.

You asked in the post I first responded to why people were excited without a TCM tune, I was giving you an answer.

Like I said, I wouldn’t have gone with one of the other tuners anyways, if Cobb hadn’t released a tune I’d still be stock. That’s just me though. Not trying to say I’m right or that everybody who used a different tuner is wrong, just for my investment in the truck and my preferences and comfort, I trust Cobb enough to go with them.

I didn’t claim that a TCM wouldn’t improve performance, just that Cobb said it’s not needed to run the Stage 1 tune safely, not that it won’t perform better with one. Obviously a TCM would probably help, bit so would lots of things. If your point is that they COULD make it faster with a TCM tune, yeah, I don’t disagree with that at all.

I bet your truck is faster than mine. That’s cool. It’s awesome seeing so much power out of these trucks. Maybe when Cobb releases the TCM I’ll add it, maybe not. Running a 0-60 in 5 flat is pretty zesty to me anyways, I’ll be plenty pumped about that. My first timed 1/4 mile was in a ‘73 Buick and took about a year and a half so I’m pretty pleased with the truck even stock.

Last edited:

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will certainly, eventually be available. I don't have a good ETA and pricing is not yet determined. Stay tuned...

No offense taken! I believe it will run low 4s in the right conditions! Looking forward to brake boosting in 4wd and seeing what our tank can do.

If you want to know the exact gains on our dyno, on our truck, on that day, they were:

Stage 1 91 +45 HP +47 TQ over stock
Stage 1 93 +71 HP +90 TQ over stock

Be wary of dyno claims expressed that way though. They're easily manipulated. Using a percentage relative to a baseline keeps it honest. Longer version explanation.

Kyle@COBB

Thanks for the numbers and I understand they are not concrete in many ways and situations!!!