Cobb Stage 1 Engine Knock Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SleekMagnetic

Reaction score
Feel free to send in a datalog of the issue for us to review. As previously mentioned, this is likely related to fuel quality, but we can double check a log to rule out any other potential causes. In the short term, the octane adjustment feature of the ECU should dial back timing and boost at WOT to accommodate for the inferred fuel octane.

For reference, we recommend that customers run fuel from gas stations that adhere to the Top Tier fuel standards. We also recommend that customers avoid ethanol-free fuel and stick to E10 blends. Assuming fueling meets these requirements, the engine may benefit from the installation of a catch can to avoid oil consumption. Oil vapors will have a drastically lower effective octane when they recirculate through the intake system, and a catch can will cut down on the volume of oil entering the combustion chamber.

Not to thread jack, but what is the reason for “avoiding” ethanol free fuel? My truck seems to like the ethanol free 93 premium better than anything else I can get around here (maybe with the exception of Shell V power Nitro).
Thanks

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be happy you can get ethanol free gas. Here in Commiefornia, all we can get is our own special brew of ethanol gas.

Redleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that right there is why Cobb is so fantastic...they just pop out of the woodwork and get to cracking it.

pwnall1337

Reaction score

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to thread jack, but what is the reason for “avoiding” ethanol free fuel? My truck seems to like the ethanol free 93 premium better than anything else I can get around here (maybe with the exception of Shell V power Nitro).
Thanks

Ethanol free fuel provides the most BTUs (energy content). That means the best power output and fuel efficiency. However, ethanol has a higher octane rating than 93 octane gasoline, so it provides improved resistance to knock/detonation. That additional resistance to knock can be critical when running a tune, as the actual gasoline octane rating can vary by source. Sticking to Top Tier fuel is a good way to ensure you're getting the octane you're paying for.