Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah definitely think they are stuck. They replaced both with the new shocks. Odd that both would be acting up unless they installed them incorrectly.
It might just not be shutting off the power to them. Shocks could be fine and they screwed up something in the computer. FT1 or the dealer asap would be my position

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully I have no more issues. so far so good. regardless I most likely will be trading in like always after 3-4yrs. . that'll be towards the end of the year when 25's come out. love the truck but I dont think I need a pickup much longer since I use it for work and things have changed. may go with an expedition or Tahoe. that fits my needs more. getting closer to retirement and plan to travel more and that works better for me. I also don't go off-roading like I used too. my friends id go with also got rid of their trucks. things change I guess. love the raptor.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your truck no longer makes any noise when you stand on the bumper and bounce the rear suspension?
Don't know. I don't make a habit out of jumping up and down on my bumper. All I know is, it no longer clunks over slight bumps. But I will check when it stops raining tomorrow.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your truck no longer makes any noise when you stand on the bumper and bounce the rear suspension?
So as I went out for work this morning, I jumped up and down on my rear bumper. I can confirm that there is no more metal on metal clunk coming from my trucks rear. All I hear now is the swish of shock compression and decompression.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I went out for work this morning, I jumped up and down on my rear bumper. I can confirm that there is no more metal on metal clunk coming from my trucks rear. All I hear now is the swish of shock compression and decompression.

Do you have the part numbers for your rear shocks?

Mine clunks when you jump up and down pretty aggressively but it doesn’t even seem to come from the shocks

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the part numbers for your rear shocks?

Mine clunks when you jump up and down pretty aggressively but it doesn’t even seem to come from the shocks
I’ll look at paperwork and/or shocks in a bit. My drive in was super quiet this morning. I don’t think I realized how much chatter was there before. 27k miles, and it’s like I bought a different truck.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll look at paperwork and/or shocks in a bit. My drive in was super quiet this morning. I don’t think I realized how much chatter was there before. 27k miles, and it’s like I bought a different truck.
the bottom of the resi of the shock has it laser engraved on. My first few days were great but after about 1000 miles it still kind of sounds like a lose chatter here and there.

BSARAP

Reaction score
Giving an update to my story, after waiting a month to get it into the suspension tech, and then some diagnostics on their end, they have ordered a new set of rear shocks. I believe that the fronts also make some noise but hopefully it will help/remove the severity of clunking in the meantime since I believe the rears were the worst of the set of four.
Side note from my end, I have a '22 outside of the build date range and my dealer still was able to diagnose the issue without the SSM, but had it in my back pocket just in case!
Following up on my last message with the work order from my dealer since I got my truck back today - hopefully it helps anyone going through the same. I still have some clunk in the fronts but since replacing the rears, I probably hear the clunk now 50% less of the time which is great. From the work order they only tested the rears so I will have to take it back eventually to get the fronts done. Overall, even with only the rears replaced, like many others have said, it rides much better and tighter like it should've from the start. unnamed.jpg

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up on my last message with the work order from my dealer since I got my truck back today - hopefully it helps anyone going through the same. I still have some clunk in the fronts but since replacing the rears, I probably hear the clunk now 50% less of the time which is great. From the work order they only tested the rears so I will have to take it back eventually to get the fronts done. Overall, even with only the rears replaced, like many others have said, it rides much better and tighter like it should've from the start. View attachment 449909
It’s interesting how everyone is getting different part numbers. Do the stickers on the backside of the reservoir match what’s written or are they the ml3v18w002/3?