Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing that I’ve noticed making noise over bumps… distinctly different from the suspension noise, but noticeably from the rear and audible from in the cab. Some of the plastic clips that hold it in place had worked themselves partially out. Pushed them back in and so far much better. This is between the cab and the bed looking up near the exhaust. Goes full width of bed.
View attachment IMG_4815.mov

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! confirmed in the FDRS with the head tech and service advisor. The truck rides like it should and they installed eibach pro lift as well. It drives better than it did when I first got from Dealer new
Update....I couldnt find the rear foutz 3/4" spacers and the head guy said they removed everything. The truck does drive and feel way better but I kept looking at and noticed the rear is higher than the front (even with Smartcap and spare/tools in the back). So I sent a video to the head tech and had him ask the other tech if they took out the spacer. Turns out its still in there along with the eiback 1.5" lift coils :mad:

Now I need to get it back to them and spend another day without the truck...

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing that I’ve noticed making noise over bumps… distinctly different from the suspension noise, but noticeably from the rear and audible from in the cab. Some of the plastic clips that hold it in place had worked themselves partially out. Pushed them back in and so far much better. This is between the cab and the bed looking up near the exhaust. Goes full width of bed.
View attachment 448046
what and where is that--very hard to tell anything from that vid

BSARAP

Reaction score
Wanted to start my saga here ... Took mine into the dealer yesterday for the clunking - I can clearly feel it in the floorboards and hear it over every small(ish) bump in the road. Shop foreman road along with me for a quick 2 minute drive and told me to turn around back to the service department so he can take a look himself. I was informed that they said they heard something and something doesn't it sound right and said I will have to deal with the nuisance until March (earliest available appointment) for when I can drop it off and their suspension tech can mess around with it for a few days. I didn't bring up the SSM 50972 but will keep it in my back pocket for next go around if all else fails. Will post an update upon my next visit.
Giving an update to my story, after waiting a month to get it into the suspension tech, and then some diagnostics on their end, they have ordered a new set of rear shocks. I believe that the fronts also make some noise but hopefully it will help/remove the severity of clunking in the meantime since I believe the rears were the worst of the set of four.
Side note from my end, I have a '22 outside of the build date range and my dealer still was able to diagnose the issue without the SSM, but had it in my back pocket just in case!

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the order for replacement shocks, none match these based on a previous post:

On Service Record:
ML3Z*18124*AR
ML3Z*18124*AW
ML3Z*18125*BM
ML3Z*18125*BK

Stamped on part:
ML3V-18W002-FA
ML3Z-18125-BK
ML3Z-18124-AR
ML3V18B060-BJ
These match what I posted not too long ago.

Even with the new shocks, with a big enough bump I hear a clunk up front.

Last edited:

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well some strange change of events on how my clunking seems to be gone.

last July I brought it in to do the wiper motor recall, rattle in back window from the bass of the radio, exhaust spring actuator, and the obvious clunking with the shocks. I didn't bring it in for it but I always thought the 4x4 system sounded strange and felt very faint vibrations while in all wheel drive in the gas pedal along with seemingly louder than expected all wheel drive. well they fixed everything except of course the 4x4 system. changed rear shocks etc. but still had a very slight clunk/noise up front. Over the winter while using all wheel drive since I am in Michigan and we had snow, the 4 x 4 system went out and all my drive modes exhaust etc weren't available. when I put it back in 2H everything was fine. (well for all the 2 wheel modes). I brought it back in a couple weeks ago and just got it back because they finally had a loaner for me and it was fine as long as I kept in in 2 wheel. I wanted them to check front shocks again while it was there but after needing to replace the front left hub assembly. they couldn't find anything with chassis ears. while it was there since it was at 35k miles I had them change the diffs and transfer case fluids. coolant and trans will be at 50k.

I was upset that they said they couldn't hear anything up front but now that I have had it for the last few days and have been driving it. Since they changed the front hub assembly I cant hear the clunk up front now either. I feel absolutely no vibrations in the gas pedal and the all wheel drive sounds and feels as smooth as I would expect.

does this make sense for the clunking. I get that I could get vibrations and louder than normal but I didn't think a hub assembly could be the issues for the clunking. has anyone else had a similar experience.

needless to say I am now happy as can be it feels right. since I use it for work I was so close to trading it in. all good for now, hope nothing else arises

Last edited:

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine in for an oil change and while there, I showed my tech the service bulletin for the shocks. I asked him to check it out while he had it. He called me that day and said, “we jumped up and down in the bed, and your shocks are definitely noisy, we have new rears on order.” Shocks came in, were replaced, and now my truck is silent. 27k miles. Couldn’t be happier with my Ford service department. They’ve always given me top notch service. I do believe owners need to find the RIGHT department to receive great service.