Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving around with them now, they heard a clunk going over a speed bump at 20 miles and said you bottomed out your suspension. Man come on. No I didn’t

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my Gen 3 back from the dealer last night and gave it a good test on the road to work this morning......HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

As stated above by @New recaros "I'm in love with this truck all over again!" This is exactly how the truck should feel—no more sloppy feeling in the steering wheel over small bumps. I still don't know how bad shocks could cause that issue. It almost seems like it was a two-part problem. The first was bad shocks making a noise but also possibly the coils were installed wrong or not torqued properly and that is why the steering felt loose. Whatever it was, don't stop until all 4 are replaced if you experience this issue. This is the truck I paid for! Good luck to the other members that are still fighting this battle. I would get Ford corporate involved in this.

After 130 pages, my story comes to an end.
Do you have the part numbers for all four shocks?

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tech that drives a 23’ raptor on 37’s with Geiser’s just rode with and said “yep, something doesn’t sound right, ill put in to order new shocks.” Hopefully I can get all 4
Glad you are getting sorted. If a dealer says they cant hear anything its most likely because they didn't follow the diagnosis procedure using chassis ears. That seems to be the key to hearing the noise and isolating it to the shocks.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you are getting sorted. If a dealer says they cant hear anything its most likely because they didn't follow the diagnosis procedure using chassis ears. That seems to be the key to hearing the noise and isolating it to the shocks.
Yep well I jumped the gun. The techs said this whole time the service advisor never relayed the SSM so they were only told “owner experiencing noise” and saw I have RPG and foutz levels. Once I showed the techs the SSM they were like, we yeah this seems to be the problem but we need to do the chassis ears to diagnose the shocks! ‍♂️

They will get me a loaner but service tech said it’ll be about a month to get one. So I just got home and called the head servicer manager and asked why since Tuesday AM the servicer advisor didn’t relay the SSM this whole time? Wasted 3.5 days and now I still need to bring it back so they can do the SSM. Back to square one.

She said she’ll get a loaner for me beginning of next week and get this concern addressed.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep well I jumped the gun. The techs said this whole time the service advisor never relayed the SSM so they were only told “owner experiencing noise” and saw I have RPG and foutz levels. Once I showed the techs the SSM they were like, we yeah this seems to be the problem but we need to do the chassis ears to diagnose the shocks! ‍♂️

They will get me a loaner but service tech said it’ll be about a month to get one. So I just got home and called the head servicer manager and asked why since Tuesday AM the servicer advisor didn’t relay the SSM this whole time? Wasted 3.5 days and now I still need to bring it back so they can do the SSM. Back to square one.

She said she’ll get a loaner for me beginning of next week and get this concern addressed.
Typical dealer BS. It should take one day to complete the SSM diagnosis. They can give the truck back to you and it could take up to 5 weeks to get the 37" shocks in stock. Those I hear are on backorder right now. The RPG and Foutz levels don't help your case but it has nothing to do with them anyway. Dealers never see it like that though.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical dealer BS. It should take one day to complete the SSM diagnosis. They can give the truck back to you and it could take up to 5 weeks to get the 37" shocks in stock. Those I hear are on backorder right now. The RPG and Foutz levels don't help your case but it has nothing to do with them anyway. Dealers never see it like that though.
Yeah agreed but the head tech is like, I have Geisers and I know this sound has nothing to do with the shock noise. He sounds like he’s on my side but we will see

BSARAP

Reaction score
Wanted to start my saga here ... Took mine into the dealer yesterday for the clunking - I can clearly feel it in the floorboards and hear it over every small(ish) bump in the road. Shop foreman road along with me for a quick 2 minute drive and told me to turn around back to the service department so he can take a look himself. I was informed that they said they heard something and something doesn't it sound right and said I will have to deal with the nuisance until March (earliest available appointment) for when I can drop it off and their suspension tech can mess around with it for a few days. I didn't bring up the SSM 50972 but will keep it in my back pocket for next go around if all else fails. Will post an update upon my next visit.

BSARAP

Reaction score
It’s seriously worth every moment of pain with the dealers. Down in Baja right now after getting the fronts replaced and this is exactly how I imagined the truck was going to perform. Completely different solid front end. Wow
Exactly why I'm starting my saga. I started out with a pretty reputable dealer that worked on my Gen 2 over the years so hoping it'll get sorted -- I want to love this truck so badly so we will see how far I can get. Glad to hear your raptor turned out amazing!