Closing in on 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 models have a TSB for a wastegate rattle in cold start; that may be the noise you are hearing. The repair procedure is simple and only involves a slight modification to the wastegate linkage.
Is this fix easy enough to do at home? My 2017 has the wastegate rattle, but for $13 in parts I’d rather perform the fix myself than take the truck to the dealer.

OP
OP
K

Kalis

Reaction score
sounds good.. thanks for the reply's.
I saw the comment regarding changing the air filter. I spent some time looking for one of them today... I looked under the seats where the air comes out and there was no filters? I could see the vents.. but they didnt have filters in them.
You might want to replace that air filter after 100k too!:eek:

sounds good.. thanks for the reply's.
regarding changing the air filter. I spent some time looking for one of them today... I looked under the seats where the air comes out and there was no filters? I could see the vents.. but they didnt have filters in them. I'll ask the guys at the dealership when i schedule for the rattle. lol.

OP
OP
K

Kalis

Reaction score
If the rattle goes away by holding the gas to the floor & letting it crank like that an extra 4-5 seconds (like hold the key in the start position or just hold the start button down w/o taking finger off) then it’s cam phasers

if it doesn’t then it’s probably the turbo actuators/wastegate linkage as other poster mentioned- not a major concern, if you look up under the driver side wheel well area you should be able to get a good view of the turbo on that side & may be able to confirm that’s where the rattles coming from or not too after determining if it’s cam phasers or not

If cam phasers I’d have them fix it, otherwise I’d just change all
The fluids & keep driving it

Who figured that one out?? haha. Thats amazing. i'll try it in the morning.
Big thanks

Jeremy Rice

Reaction score
I have a 2017 screw as well. I have 76k miles on it but my warranty doesn’t expire until 120k. I just got my truck back last week from the Ford dealer. I was having the same issue with the cold start rattle.

After they diagnosed it they found the phasers needed to be replaced. I had them go ahead and check everything on the truck and now I have a new oil pan, new front hubs on both sides, new 4wd actuators on both sides, new hub check valves, new PCV valve with sensor and pigtail, and new cam phasers.

It took them 3 weeks to fix everything but thankfully it was all covered under warranty. To total would have came out to right at $7k. So far everything is good.

Oh and they also gave me a loaner 4wd expedition at no charge the whole time.

I would definitely have your truck checked out before the warranty is up.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I have a 2017 screw as well. I have 76k miles on it but my warranty doesn’t expire until 120k. I just got my truck back last week from the Ford dealer. I was having the same issue with the cold start rattle.

After they diagnosed it they found the phasers needed to be replaced. I had them go ahead and check everything on the truck and now I have a new oil pan, new front hubs on both sides, new 4wd actuators on both sides, new hub check valves, new PCV valve with sensor and pigtail, and new cam phasers.

It took them 3 weeks to fix everything but thankfully it was all covered under warranty. To total would have came out to right at $7k. So far everything is good.

Oh and they also gave me a loaner 4wd expedition at no charge the whole time.

I would definitely have your truck checked out before the warranty is up.

I am also at 77K on my 2018 with the 100K mile warranty, I am looking to upgrade to 120K like you or even more, maybe 150K. I just had 3 small leaks fixed, the drivers side seat heaters and now I have also noticed a small rattle that lasts about 2 seconds at start up. How did you go about them replacing everything on the truck? I may have them do the same while diagnosing the phasers.

Thanks!

Jeremy Rice

Reaction score
I told them I had a noise in the front and that I wanted them to go over the whole truck front to back like it was a pre purchase inspection and they found everything wrong. The service manager was awesome to deal with and was like “if you don’t mind not having your truck for a little while we want to make sure your a happy customer and take care of everything at once.”

I’m working in Salina Ks and the dealer is Long McArthur Ford.

best service I have ever had at a dealer!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Press the "quote" button in the post you want tp reply to and it will appear in a new post and then you enter your comment below the "quote"