Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Cleaning the gunk off the inside of the windshield

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Cleaning and Detailing Forum' started by Ruger, Feb 17, 2020.

Adam's Polishes
  1. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

You know that gunk that mysteriously accumulates on the inside of your windshield? Anybody know what that stuff is? And you know how difficult it is to clean the inside of a windshield?

I came up with a solution: use a Swiffer. The ball joint on the head of a Swiffer takes the wrist problem out of the equation, and the handle (use only the bottom half of the two-piece handle) takes the reach out of it. The keepers on the back of the Swiffer business end will hold a microfiber cloth just fine, so just spray the inside of the windshield and/or the microfiber cloth with your favorite glass cleaner and go at it. You can get into the corners and behind the rear view mirror, and you can comfortably clean that windshield until you're completely satisfied with the results.

No charge for my friends. :)

Mike Y likes this.
  2. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

That gunk is not so mysterious!! I know you love your truck, but if you don't stop you can go blind. :Insane:

daffy.gif

FILRaptor, Mike Y, Muchmore and 5 others like this.
  3. Vash

Vash Full Access Member

My understanding is that the residue on the windshield is from the continued off-gassing of the plastic and other petroleum-based products in the interior. The tip from Adam’s Polishes was to use exterior paint glaze to clean the windshield interior. The solvent base of the glaze breaks down the residue on the glass. Just apply with microfiber and then wipe off just like you’d do on the paint.

4. JohnyPython

JohnyPython Full Access Member

I thought that was just the Mercury Mistress (SNL) haha

Oldfart likes this.
  5. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

I used my method this morning on the inside of the windshield of my wife's Ford Edge. The Edge has such a steeply raked windshield that it is really difficult and uncomfortable to clean, especially on the driver's side. I heated up glass cleaner in the microwave oven, and went at it with a microfiber cloth and he Swiffer. Excellent results.

6. pdaly419

pdaly419 Member

7. TheC-Don

TheC-Don Member

I have had good luck with 50/50 denatured alcohol and distilled water. Don’t get it on the dash and don’t use with tint though...

8. robert125

robert125 Member

Excellent consulting with the Swiffer! I’ll pickup a brand new one and customize the handle and keep it on board! Every once in a while I pickup a gem here for my millennium grey 17 Screw ! Thanks!! The last truck a man will ever need !?!

2E7D327E-9F61-420C-ABC7-F123D9374074.jpeg

500mag likes this.
  9. pdaly419

pdaly419 Member

If you are going to buy something new, this works really well and was designed for windshields. It also fold up really nice if you are keeping it in your truck: https://www.invisibleglass.com/prod.../invisible-glass-reach-clean/cp_/all-products

10. 500mag

500mag Full Access Member

New vinyls exude vapors. Just use the damp rag from drying your Raptor off at the car wash to wipe it off, KISS.