Cheap sounding shifter fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so maybe this is a fix or maybe I just had too much of CA's finest last night. As I was parking I opened my door to see how tight the spot was and my position inside the lines. I left the vehicle in Drive and shut the engine off. The shifter will automatically move into Park for you. This morning it sounds so much less plastic and cheap and much more smooth. I am wondering if it somehow resets the gears to a home position or possibly it's me and then see the above beginning statement.

Can someone else confirm?

Leave the vehicle in Drive and shut the engine off. The shifter moves to PARK automatically. Start the vehicle and see if it's smoother and quieter as you go from Park to D or Park to R. I'd recommend trying twice before you tell me I'm an idiot. It still has a cheap feel to it but it seems like it is much less now. Not sure if it will stay like this now forever but if it goes back to that clunkily plastic sound/feel I plan on trying this process again.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I inadvertently have done this but not made the point to pay attention to the feel. Will try today.
Mine could have been off or broken from the factory and now I am feeling a much smoother shift. I always had this high-pitched plastic rattle on mine and now it's gone. Maybe I'm the outlier with the covid build.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I tried it yesterday while leaving work. It didn't seem to make much difference. Then again, the shifter has never been a concern for me.