Charging iPad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why when using the USB port in my middle console does it say not charging on my iPad? I know it's charging it, but it's not at full strength. Thanks

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

Reaction score
The typical USB port is less than 1 amp of power; I think the specification for USB 2 calls for 500mA of power at 5V. The full size iPad needs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2A to charge. There are car lighter socket adapters that put out that much power and can charge iPads or the current crop of huge cell phones. The one I have in my Raptor is this:

Amazon.com: Scosche USBC202M Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger works with iPhone 5, 5S and 5C: Cell Phones & Accessories

That one has two 2.1A sockets so it can charge two high power devices at once. There are some that have one 1A and one 2.1A socket or just one 2.1A socket. I have one of those plugged into the lighter socket right next to the Sync outlet on the center console. It's not quite flush; it sticks out a quarter of an inch or so, but it's not that bad. I have another one with just one socket on it that fits totally flush, enough so that it's kind of hard to get out of the socket. Looks nice, like it's supposed to be in there, but we have a lot of devices that need charging so the dual high power ports are handy.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to use that under dash usb as a power source as well. wound up wiring a usb splitter under there and came to same result, tablets didn't receive correct voltage to charge.

**More important to note... To others thinking this, it may be result of my splitter or bad cable, but hard-wiring my go pro from this source fried one of my go pro batteries. Camera got extremely hot in a short time. Hard wiring it to the cig lighter usb adapter (like above link) was fine. Charged well and unit was cool as a cucumber. Id avoid the under dash usb port as a charging source.