Catastrophic engine failure at 22K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ LOL That's funny because Ford used to actually have the whole "certification" thing around many years ago for their SVT products to a certain extent before that program slowly faded away.

Makes ya wonder that it faded away because most dealerships where not paying for their mechanics to take the training, thus ford corporate was loosing money on developing the certifications rather than breaking even or making a profit.

Sorry to derail thread please resume your normally scheduled activities.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also note a mechanic makes $$ on volume or how many hours he can bill on a job. If you come in with a car with an issue that he can't fix but his next job he can fix and make money then he will move on.

I agree with you. An independent shop who has his or her reputation at stake and wants your business (and future business) will care. I don't think most dealerships care simply because most owners think that because they have a Ford product and therefore a Ford dealership knows best. THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. I even think the opposite is true. Dealerships may have the best equipment but most of their are just like any other tech. They are not better just because they work at Ford dealership and they are working on a ford product.

100% true! My nephew is an ASE mechanic he holds a few different certs and has been doing it going on 5 years now. He refuses to work at dealerships even though they pay the best usually, the independent shop he works at does everything from your basic oil change to full motor and trans swaps. Working at a dealership you may never see a blown motor, he has friends that had the same schooling as he did that work at dealerships that I would not let work on my lawn mower. Its not that the guys are incompetent or dumb they just do not see the problems and have not had the on the job training they need because the dealership is mostly doing oil changes and window motor replacements. This is just my opinion but after warranty is up a dealership is the last place I would go.

OP
OP
Mattyboy86

Mattyboy86

Reaction score
Wow! Sure was a lot to read but I feel enthralled that so many have responded to this thread. Thanks everyone! Anyway, for those that asked my truck is a 2012 Blue Flame 6.2 Raptor, I purchased it used with a clean car fax and auto check. I was told by the dealers that looked at my truck that it's very rare to see any sort of failure like I experienced. In regard to the abuse, yes i'm pretty positive that some underpaid ******** changed my brakes and joy rode the engine to death. At the point I found the failure I requested to meet the tech who drove my vehicle. Their response was what good would that do? My response: I want to let him know how he is disgracing the confidence of consumers, and had they brought him out at that moment, I would have probably left with an assault charge. Anyway no introduction was made and I left the truck there to be repaired by some under trained/ paid "professional" who really was getting sick of looking at the thing every day for over a month and sent it out with the electrical problems. Honestly that dealer was my only option but I am very good friends with the GM at the Denver Colorado location who has also had my back and his employees do a great job. Its a shame I had to move to a location where the techs are two chromosomes short of ass holes. Anyway I really appreciate the constructive responses and I will get Crystal my info to see what kind of insights she can offer. Thanks again everyone, this forum is AWESOME!

Reaction score
Makes ya wonder that it faded away because most dealerships where not paying for their mechanics to take the training, thus ford corporate was loosing money on developing the certifications rather than breaking even or making a profit.

Sorry to derail thread please resume your normally scheduled activities.

If I remember correctly, SVT Certification died roughly around the time the 03/04 Cobras were on the lots. Dealers wanted access to the high margin halo cars SVT was producing. Not to mention that shifting halo car production from the SVT name plate to the Shelby name plate pretty much rendered useless any need to be SVT certified because SVT as a department went native for a period of time. I remember not even being able to call the SVT Phone Number, it went straight to Ford Customer Service (as I think it still does).

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just one reason never to buy a used Raptor. Make sure to make sure the frame is not bent as well. Some people abuse them and when they realize it is fried trade it! Seen a couple here in DFW that did that exact thing.

OP
OP
Mattyboy86

Mattyboy86

Reaction score
Yea I got super paranoid after the debacle, I thought the same thing so I had a frame shop take a look at the frame. They said the frame wasn't bent and didn't look like it had been on a frame puller either; they also said it can be hard to tell if a good job was done. I did notice some scratching which I thought was puller marks on the front frame rail just in front of the shocks but it was trailered and chained so that was dubbed the suspect. I am also learning a terrible lesson as I will quote you "don't buy a used raptor." At this point I want a different (new) truck. I wanted to get a new one from the get go but at the time a blue one would have taken forever to order. So it looks like impatience/ color preference has got the best of me this time.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's plenty of Raptor Street Queens. By that logic no one would ever buy a used vehicle. Any vehicle can be abused, not just the ones designed for off road use. A thorough inspection beforehand helps mitigate test risk, but you know what? Sometimes shit happens. It's under warranty so make sure Ford fixes it right. And enjoy your previously enjoyed Raptor.

I got mine with 26K mikes and it is AWESOME.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen enough Raptors being driven around her by high school kids that actually believe that they are real trophy trucks.... Had a discussion with one who pulled up next to me at a gas station... Told him to enjoy it and by the looks of it he was---covered in mud and grass. Not that there is anything wrong with that btw...

Point is "most" people who pay for something themselves take better care of a vehicle.. For graduation he wants a Shelby Raptor!