Can you weld on a Raptor frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gotSVT

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debate, what are we talking about with "extreme heat"? I know there's a big difference between my old Lincoln arc vs a good TIG. I'm trying to learn something here!

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debate, what are we talking about with "extreme heat"? I know there's a big difference between my old Lincoln arc vs a good TIG.

I'm guessing the puddle is 3400 degrees or more, even with the more precise welder. It probably liquifies everything except the carbon and chromium/molybdenum type stuff.

Near the weld, the original steel will change as it cools between about 1300 to 450 degrees, I believe.

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Then a main frame rail constructed from ten welded segments is stronger than a single piece frame rail, right?

The pictures you saw demonstrate how the extreme heat of welding weakens the microstructure of the steel; not that the weld is stronger than the steel.

Did I ever state that a pieced together frame was stronger than a single beam? No.

Want to test this yourself? Weld a piece of tubing to a large enough piece of flat stock. Secure the flat stock to the ground in some maner and then procede to take a sledge to the tube. IF you can weld even half way decently, the weld will not be what fails but rather the surounding area (called the heat affected zone, Google it).

Welding is not what cause the failure. Rather you have reached the limits of the base metal.

Pictures of some of my welds/fab since apparently I am talking out my ass.

swap131.jpg

swap118.jpg

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
List of welding guide lines for body repair on the 2010 F150. Most is common sense and pointed more at body panels, but towards the end it talks about the frame. Looks like not exceeding temp is key.

The correct equipment and settings must be used when welding mild or High-Strength Steel (HSS). Metal Inert Gas (MIG) and Squeeze-Type Resistance Spot Welding (STRW) are the preferred methods. Surfaces must be clean and free of foreign materials.

Adequate ventilation must be provided to avoid accumulation of poisonous gases.

A test weld should always be carried out on a test sample. Refer to the Weld

Nugget Chart in Specifications for Ford-approved weld nugget information.

Use cleaning brushes and abrasive grinding wheels dedicated to the type of materials being welded.

Follow the equipment manufacturer's prescribed procedures and equipment settings for the type of welder being used. ER70S-3 or ER70S-6 wire are typically used for MIG welding steel.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Section 414-01.

Disconnect on-vehicle modules adjacent to the welding area and protect them from possible heat damage and electrical currents when welding.

Corrosion protection must be restored whenever bare metal repairs are made.

Refer to Restoring Corrosion Protection Following Repair in this section.

Adequate power supply needs to be used to make sure of correct equipment performance.

Factory spot welds may be substituted with either STRW welds or MIG plug welds. Spot/plug welds should equal factory welds in both location and quantity. Do not place a new spot weld directly over an original weld location.

Plug weld hole should equal 8 mm (0.31 in) diameter.

Correct eye protection must be worn.

The correct protective clothing should always be worn.

Components made of HSS should not be heated to straighten or repair. If components are severely bent or kinked, new components should be installed.

Arc welding is an acceptable method for welding heavier metal components such as frame parts. When arc welding, the following guidelines should be followed:

A temperature indicating crayon calibrated to 650°C (1,200°F) or below, should be used to avoid overheating and weakening the metal.

Attach the ground clamp as close as possible to the work area.

Choose welding electrodes according to the type of steel, thickness and polarity of the arc welder AC or DC.

Do not use water or compressed air to cool welding. This can cause the metal to become brittle and weak.

saleen970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If using the correct filler metal the weld should be stronger than the base metal. Filler metals are normally a grade above the base metal you are welding. If you get base metal too hot it will get brittle and crack easily close to the weld.

saleen970

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Then a main frame rail constructed from ten welded segments is stronger than a single piece frame rail, right?

The pictures you saw demonstrate how the extreme heat of welding weakens the microstructure of the steel; not that the weld is stronger than the steel.

Actually if done correctly the 10 welded segments would be stronger but would lose flexability which depending on the application might be a good thing..

Last edited: