Cam Phaser Rattle back 20 miles after being fixed by CAPITAL FORD CARSON CITY NEVADA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Granelli

Reaction score
Took my 58k mile 18' raptor in due to increasingly loud startup rattle, poor shifting, rough idle, and intermittent loss of power limp mode. Took over a month to setup an appointment to be seen, another month to get it repaired. Within 20 miles of normal driving the limp mode came back (p0018 and p0021 codes are showing), rough idle, bad shifting, NO startup rattle.

This service was performed at Capital Ford in Carson City Nevada. For the first time ever, I am ready to sell this truck. After owning at least 5 fords in the past 15 years.

18 supercab lead foot
full fox factory shocks
Cobb Intercooler/Intake/Boost tubes
Goosetuned
RLD designs Stainless Shell
60k mlies

Nearly impossible to get a call back from the dealer. Very disappointed with FORD PERFORMANCE after owning a few SVT's in the past.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if those goons updated the pcm as it’s required. Don’t blame Ford Performance for a ****** dealer. Sounds odd that they would need it a month for cam phaser rattle when you can drive it like that. What else was wrong with it?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What did the dealership fix/replace? Have any documentation on what they did? Running stock tune? same issue with stock tune?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Man that’s profoundly disappointing. have the truck there first F****ing thing. Tell them to get it fixed, right and before the other customers roll in front of you.

OP
OP
G

Granelli

Reaction score
I am running a cobb goose tune. Same issues with stock tune. To be clear, It took one month from the first call to get the truck in to be "evaluated" and confirm it was having issues. That took 1 day at the dealer. Then It took a little over a month to get the truck in, it was at the dealer for 3 days total from drop off to pick up. I do not yet have an itemized list of what was done.

OP
OP
G

Granelli

Reaction score
Only issue the truck has ever had. Otherwise the best and most fun vehicle I've owned to date pretty much. The noise was annoying on startup, but when it started losing power and barely being able to accelerate is when it became a problem.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am running a cobb goose tune. Same issues with stock tune. To be clear, It took one month from the first call to get the truck in to be "evaluated" and confirm it was having issues. That took 1 day at the dealer. Then It took a little over a month to get the truck in, it was at the dealer for 3 days total from drop off to pick up. I do not yet have an itemized list of what was done.
Well that’s not so bad, it sucks there’s something else wrong with your truck, I bet the tech didn’t install your air box correctly or something stupid, just take it back, they can’t expect you to drive it in limp mode.

Typr04

Reaction score
Took my 58k mile 18' raptor in due to increasingly loud startup rattle, poor shifting, rough idle, and intermittent loss of power limp mode. Took over a month to setup an appointment to be seen, another month to get it repaired. Within 20 miles of normal driving the limp mode came back (p0018 and p0021 codes are showing), rough idle, bad shifting, NO startup rattle.

This service was performed at Capital Ford in Carson City Nevada. For the first time ever, I am ready to sell this truck. After owning at least 5 fords in the past 15 years.

18 supercab lead foot
full fox factory shocks
Cobb Intercooler/Intake/Boost tubes
Goosetuned
RLD designs Stainless Shell
60k mlies

Nearly impossible to get a call back from the dealer. Very disappointed with FORD PERFORMANCE after owning a few SVT's in the past.
Does it sound like a diesel? Like mine does. This is after three weeks of being “fixed” and allegedly cured. 100 miles after picking up this sound started again.
View attachment IMG_6877.MOV

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they didn’t reflash it with the latest software per 21B10 Supplement #2 released on 7/15, you’re not running the latest software update. Once it’s reprogrammed, don’t reflash to any aftermarket tune unless the tuner can implement the new calibration parameters from the new factory calibration.

As far as the DTCs that you’re getting, there is a service message that directs the dealer to clear or replace the VCT solenoids to correct the issue. It is unrelated to the cold start rattle that was resolved with the updated phasers.