Cam Phaser Rattle back 20 miles after being fixed by CAPITAL FORD CARSON CITY NEVADA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ggsando

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they didn’t reflash it with the latest software per 21B10 Supplement #2 released on 7/15, you’re not running the latest software update. Once it’s reprogrammed, don’t reflash to any aftermarket tune unless the tuner can implement the new calibration parameters from the new factory calibration.

As far as the DTCs that you’re getting, there is a service message that directs the dealer to clear or replace the VCT solenoids to correct the issue. It is unrelated to the cold start rattle that was resolved with the updated phasers.
Hopefully @GooseTuned will be able to implement the new calibration parameters to an existing tune…

James Min

Reaction score
I had my dealer replace my cam phasers cuz they thought it was the problem. Turns out it was the fuel injector/pump. This happened to my 2019 with only 7,000 miles.
Look at my past postings with my youtube videos. See if it sounds like yours.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully Capital can make it right. They're definitely the best in the area. They've fixed a couple things that the un-named Reno dealer caused.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out today, while it was at the dealer for oil change, etc., that my phasers are bad too on my 2019 Raptor. Build month 04/19. It had a long 1-2 minute rattle when starting cold or warm, but it was more of a ticking type rattle, not a super loud noise on a cold start or anything like that. I figured wastegate, but they said phasers.

At least I'm driving a new Explorer now as a loaner as they said they would have the truck until early/mid next week. Dealer has been good to deal with so far except they told me on the phone today that they recommend their 30k mile full service since I'm at 34k miles and that my coolant, transmission, and brake fluid was discolored and should be changed for over $500. I tried not to laugh over the phone and said, "no thanks." upselling clowns...That is why I only asked for the synthetic oil/filter change and not the full service.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found out today, while it was at the dealer for oil change, etc., that my phasers are bad too on my 2019 Raptor. Build month 04/19. It had a long 1-2 minute rattle when starting cold or warm, but it was more of a ticking type rattle, not a super loud noise on a cold start or anything like that. I figured wastegate, but they said phasers.

At least I'm driving a new Explorer now as a loaner as they said they would have the truck until early/mid next week. Dealer has been good to deal with so far except they told me on the phone today that they recommend their 30k mile full service since I'm at 34k miles and that my coolant, transmission, and brake fluid was discolored and should be changed for over $500. I tried not to laugh over the phone and said, "no thanks." upselling clowns...That is why I only asked for the synthetic oil/filter change and not the full service.
Uhh, the phasers only rattle for 1-5 seconds. 1-2 minutes is something else entirely. *** is with these dealers?

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh, the phasers only rattle for 1-5 seconds. 1-2 minutes is something else entirely. *** is with these dealers?

That's what I thought too. It's not even that loud of a sound, more of a tin can ticking type sound for 1-2 minutes. Hope they don't **** up the engine doing the "repair."

OP
OP
G

Granelli

Reaction score
I’m trusting capital Ford will get to the bottom of it. Picked the truck up on 7/13 so I must have just missed the new calibration. The truck starts up quietly every time now but daily driving I am still getting p0018 and p0021 which is seeming to cause intermittent power loss and in turn weird shifting. So it’s a partial fix at this point. Scheduled to drop the truck off aug 5th

rightway

Reaction score
The story has changed since the first few posts, maybe just insistent omisions, we know a lot more now and the repair time doesn't seam so bad. By the way that's not my dealer and I live to far away even if I wanted to go there. Nor do I have any association with them. Dealer does not sound so bad after all but we need to hear the complete total story before making judgment. It's a trust issue.

Did the truck show up at the dealer with a tune, did it come home with a stock tune or did someone change the tune 19 mile later after the truck came home? I looked on the internet so could be questionable here is what I found. P0018 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor "A". P0021 Intake Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced Bank 2. Both seam to point in a common direction.

What causing it? I don't know, is it faulty work or could it be a tune caused thing? It will be interesting to see the final repair work sheet, showing work done & parts. Hope I did not ruffle anyone's feathers.

OP
OP
G

Granelli

Reaction score
As stated prior, the truck has been running a cobb goosetune with all the other mods listed. For probobly 40k miles.