CA - Buying a Raptor out of State?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4DRHTRD

Reaction score
Sorry it's personal. Lol kidding

Jeff graham
Louisberg Ford
Louisberg, KS
1-877-901-4311

He is out of town from tomorrow till the 4th of August.

I don't get a thing for recommending people, but tell him you got his name from me on the forums. So far has treated me right and want to pass it along.

What kind of deposit did they need and how much did they charge to ship to local dealer?

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of deposit did they need and how much did they charge to ship to local dealer?

Deposit was $1000

He quoted me approx $500-1000 for delivery. No exact amount but those were the prices I was quoted by a independent company, so not too worried. It needs to come to my local dealer for emissions anyway before I take ownership.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of state dealer should charge you and remit to your state the sales tax owed to your state/locality.

It's very simple, dealers have the tools to do this because they do it all the time.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as stated earlier - if you purchase a new vehicle outside of CA, it must have 7,500 miles on it to be brought into the state...

you'll be taxed on registration address - so no real savings and good luck driving it 7,500 miles before you register it in the other state ;)

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as stated earlier - if you purchase a new vehicle outside of CA, it must have 7,500 miles on it to be brought into the state...

you'll be taxed on registration address - so no real savings and good luck driving it 7,500 miles before you register it in the other state ;)

Sorry that is totally false.

If the vehicle as under 7500 miles on it, no matter the age, CA considers it a new vehicle. Thats all.

Since I am paying CA tax at the dealer out of state, and the dealer is paying CA the tax directly, I just have to register it as normal (once it passes the emissions). I show them the paperwork showing that the taxes are paid. If the tax rate was wrong or changed between the time I register it and the time I paid for it, then obviously I owe the difference.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Can't bring any vehicle in the state without 7500 miles on it....sorry, that is making me laugh.

Last edited:

kevin85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7500 mile thing is the way CA DMV determine new vs used cars. If it's over 7500 miles, it's a used car, it does not need CA emission sticker, just need to pass CA smog test. If it has less than 7500 miles, it's a new car, and it must have CA emission sticker under the hood, and pass smog.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7500 mile thing is the way CA DMV determine new vs used cars. If it's over 7500 miles, it's a used car, it does not need CA emission sticker, just need to pass CA smog test. If it has less than 7500 miles, it's a new car, and it must have CA emission sticker under the hood, and pass smog.

what he said. :lol:

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased a new vehicle out of state this year. Everything was done by phone and email.

It's very simple.

1.) Find an purchase vehicle. You don't pay any sales tax, just the negotiated price.
2.) Vehicle is shipped to your door.
3.) Set up an appointment with the DMV for vehicle inspection and to pay your sales tax (this part sucks). It should be California smog certified, I believe every new vehicle is these days.
4.) You need to take your vehicle and get is smog tested and take hard copy to the DMV along with the MSO of the truck you should have gotten from the dealer (MSO is the manufactures certificate of origin), the DMV needs this in order to generate a title. The DMV will give you your plates and you should receive your title in a few weeks.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new vehicle out of state this year. Everything was done by phone and email.

It's very simple.

1.) Find an purchase vehicle. You don't pay any sales tax, just the negotiated price.
2.) Vehicle is shipped to your door.
3.) Set up an appointment with the DMV for vehicle inspection and to pay your sales tax (this part sucks). It should be California smog certified, I believe every new vehicle is these days.
4.) You need to take your vehicle and get is smog tested and take hard copy to the DMV along with the MSO of the truck you should have gotten from the dealer (MSO is the manufactures certificate of origin), the DMV needs this in order to generate a title. The DMV will give you your plates and you should receive your title in a few weeks.

That is one way.

I do know that some dealers will pay the taxes to the state for you. Depends on their rules for selling out of thier state. So they get your tax rate via your zip code. Charge you the correct amount, then pay the state for you. You will obviously get notice if they don't pay it. You also have record that you paid it to the dealer for taxes for your area.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is one way.

I do know that some dealers will pay the taxes to the state for you. Depends on their rules for selling out of thier state. So they get your tax rate via your zip code. Charge you the correct amount, then pay the state for you. You will obviously get notice if they don't pay it. You also have record that you paid it to the dealer for taxes for your area.

Yes it's probably state by state dependent on their laws, and if your are financing or not. I paid cash, so it made it very smooth.