Buying in these times?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marc, where do you live? I recently purchased new and got a very compelling deal from a dealer in the NoVA area.
I'm on long Island. I spoke to a guy in VA. He would do invoice for me. I'm in no rush and am thinking of used also.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used is another matter all together. You can certainly find good used car deals from private parties who got in over their heads and are no longer earning the same income.

smart man. used is where the deals are. not from dealers no matter how ****** things get

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you could have had an older Fox body Mustang for cheap. Of course... you were in high school, so mom giving you money to buy a Mustang would have been a poor life choice. Admit it... you know this. ;)

specialty, performance or rare vehicles are never ‘given’ away, nor are they ever heavily discounted beyond what you would normally negotiate. They’re the ones that will sit in inventory month, after month, after month. Hell, you can still find dealers charging -over-MSRP on the Raptor; or at least asking for it. The good news is, Ford is making a $hit ton of Raptors, so there’s more of a chance at legit negotiations.

We’re pretty much at the peak of 2020 finances right now, it’s going down from here. Everybody’s budgets are tightening at a corporate level with some very few, and limited exceptions like government alphabets, & contractors directly tied to covid-19 issues, and health care services. Travel industries, service staff, festivals, venues for crowds, sporting events are all being curtailed, and this and the resulting speculative panic is going to gut punch the markets and economy for at least a short term impact.

Bailouts are already being talked about and the real “growth” is in government for LE, FD, EMT, medical services, quarantine related issues and they don’t make money, they cost money. So there will be some ripple effects too.

Should you buy a Raptor?
Money is going to tighten as speculation grows. Low interest rates trigger a surge in finance requests which increases demand which cascades through the economy but eventually, less people will be buying and seeking financing. Rates will again come down and money becomes easier to access in theory, but banks become more conservative in this kind of climate.

The Raptor is always a discretionary purchase, at a premium above run of the mill F150’s. if you can afford it and it’s right for you, then find a deal and go.

oh yeah hot shot? Right before I got my Raptor I was debating picking up a new C7 Z06- leftover ‘18 M7 (part of the reason- a lot of lazy poseurs getting into vettes think the automatic is a “plus”) well well before any of this hysteria & the thing has sat their 11 months & in late February w/ 19s all over the lot & the news already swirling about what the C8 would be like I was able to get $13k off an $82k car on paper from the dealer before even getting into hard negotiation, trade, etc. 16% would’ve turned into 20% & THAT is giving the car away essentially w/o any covid19 market crashing stuff. I also got a loaded to the gills every ******** option possible (including the 22” wheels I didn’t want) on an 18 Denali ultimate brand new got em down to $53k - again, on a “specialty” vehicle that stickered for just over $70k

but the brand new 19”s were debuting & also was a leftover- 24% off MSRP!!!!!!

Oh and lastly, if you wanna “up the ante” or poke holes in my response since “the Z06 & Denali Ultimate are not truly speciality vehicles” then I suggest you shower up, shave, put on your nicest suit & fake rolex, stroll on down to the Acura Dealer & tell me what you find out when you start poking around the thought of buying a brand new NSX. Get an idea what kind of discounts people can achieve on THOSE things & get back to us. You’ll be surprised.

OP
OP
M

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just bet against the stock market, then you'll have enough money for a raptor

Quick story. I work for a cable company. In 1992 when it dropped, the stock went to $2 a share. I told my wife I wanted to take a $10,000 out of our line of credit. Well you know how that went... Anyway, in 12 months the stock went to $80 a share then split. Since then my company has been bought out and I wouldn't invest a dime into it.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally hesitate to purchase a used Raptor. Who knows how this high performance truck was treated by the prior owner((s). You can easily buy one for invoice or below. The Ford Raptor bubble burst in 2019.

The 2020’s seem to have most of the bugs worked out. You also have the backup of a full factory warranty just in case you happen get a lemon.

Last edited: