Bumper Benefit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRKDAYJNKE

Reaction score
Is there any real benefit to aftermarket bumpers? Are they tougher? Better approach/departure angles? Or are they mostly just for looks? Obviously they look badass!

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The OEM bumpers are very flimsy. Little bump on the front or rear bumper and they fold like a piece of paper. The after market bumpers do look bad ass! Some have better approach angles and are stronger. You just have to find the best one to meat your expectations.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Tougher for sure. It's nice knowing if I get a skid plate hit that I haven't mangled everything like I would have stock.

I'm running the ADD old school single LED bumper

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the aftermarket bumpers are a million times tougher than stock! And with bumpers like RPG's race line bumper the approach angles a lot higher as well! You can never go wrong with an aftermarket bumper! I have the ADD stealth front and rear and am very very happy! But looking to sell my rear bumper to get ADD's new race series rear bumper! Haha

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you willing to cut the frame rails (i.e. RPG raceline), the approach angles on most aftermarket bumpers are worst than stock. But Aftermarket bumpers are all much stronger than the OEM bumper.

There was a guy who hit a deer with his oem bumper and sustained 20K in damages. Then there was a guy who hit a moose with his ADD bumper and only bent the bumper and frame horns slightly and killed the moose. He did not sustain any damage to his truck.

Aftermarket bumpers are heavier than OEM and I know some guys say they lose 1-2 mpg when they went with an aftermarket front bumper.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Unless you willing to cut the frame rails (i.e. RPG raceline), the approach angles on most aftermarket bumpers are worst than stock. But Aftermarket bumpers are all much stronger than the OEM bumper.

There was a guy who hit a deer with his oem bumper and sustained 20K in damages. Then there was a guy who hit a moose with his ADD bumper and only bent the bumper and frame horns slightly and killed the moose. He did not sustain any damage to his truck.

Aftermarket bumpers are heavier than OEM and I know some guys say they lose 1-2 mpg when they went with an aftermarket front bumper.

The OEM bumper/skid combo is laughably light. My ADD isn't that heavy, I'm thinking 80lbs or so. I was able to bolt it up to the truck by just lifting it up and setting it on some jack stands.

I still get about 17.5 highway and 14-ish city with my 5.4 with the bumper on there. No real change from stock.

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah the OEM skip plate on these trucks sucks on impacts off roading. This is the 2nd time I dented it and had to smooth it back out.