Broken Down within 350 miles: Turbo gave out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BambiKiller

The Stripper Hunter
Reaction score
Hey all, I picked up a 2021 Raptor (3rd Raptor to own) in LeadFoot on 35’s last Wednesday.

Pros: Purchased for LESS than MSRP

Cons: Truck left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of the night. Videos Attached

Details:
At 317 miles & around 36 hours into my ownership (Thursday @ 10:30PM) the truck lost power on the interstate as I was about 2 hours from home. While taking the soonest exit for a gas station, I noticed the CEL flashing as if there was misfire. As soon as I got to the gas station, the truck stalled out with loads of white smoke coming from both tailpipes. Still confused as to what exactly was wrong, I started the truck again when I noticed the oil pressure drop from 40psi once started to 10-12psi, then stalled out, still pouring white smoke out the tailpipes when the engine was on.

I was literally less than a mile away from a Ford Dealer, but for some reason I was adamant that the truck be brought to my hometown dealership, mainly for convenience (was quoted $620 by Ford Roadside and was fine with it) but I was unsuccessful in obtaining a tow truck through Ford Roadside Assistance after waiting over 2 hours and on 2 different dispatch requests. I ended up getting a $250 Uber home and abandoned the truck at the gas station for the night….worked out cheaper for me in the end!

I did text the dealer GM around 1AM as I was on my way home in the Uber and had a response back by 4AM, when he woke, telling me he would have my truck picked up from the gas station and brought to the home dealership (~120 miles away) along with a new truck delivered to my home to drive until they figure out what happened.

By Monday, the service foreman found the passenger side turbo to have failed (apparently turbine came apart) and also found metal shavings in the engine oil. Ford Corp has approved to replace the entire motor & both turbos from what I was told. Apparently the lead time on the laundry list of parts is 7-10 days, which I find to be unbelievable, especially in todays economic climate, but hey let’s see.

In closing, I haven’t found there to be anyone else that has reported this same issue so I’m hoping I’m the only one that has to experience this freak defect. I will say that I’ve never been stranded by any vehicle I’ve ever owned so let’s just say that was an humbling experience, for better words. I do find myself to be much more forgiving in this situation solely for 2 reasons:
1) I got the truck for $1900 BELOW MSRP ($77,920), unheard of right?

2) My dealer showed incredible customer service from getting my truck from over 120 miles away to dropping me off a replacement truck at my home all within 12 hours from the time of occurrence.

Will keep this thread updated once I hear more info and get more details.
Shyte happens but at least your dealer actually cares. Hope you get it fixed soon

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any other reports of similar failure on Gen3 or you were EXTREMELY unlucky?

OP
OP
W

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
Are there any other reports of similar failure on Gen3 or you were EXTREMELY unlucky?
I’ve heard of a handful with similar issues just with more mileage; 1000-2000 miles. It will take time to gather a solid sample size of those who were affected.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your truck was brand new will they update the motor number to your chassis and Vin?

If I am looking at two nice used Raptors to purchase. The one with matching numbers wins.