Brake pad Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And as for the guys above talking about fade, fade is caused by a buildup of heat between the rotor and the pad. While changing pads can help, the main reason the brakes are fading is because the overall rotor size is undersized for the vehicle. There’s simply not enough rotor to dissipate heat in a quick enough fashion.
True to a point but does not take into consideration outgassing (various pad “ingredients“ cook off at certain temperatures), pad transfer etc. Fade ABSOLUTELY can be reduced with pad compound selection.

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally the thermal capabilities of the OE pads are surpassed long before the rotors in these applications. This goes back to my rant of the idiotic “turning” of rotors. If rotors are truly “warped”, they need replacing, not reduction of the mass they actually need to dissipate heat. However, 99% of the time people think they have “warped” rotors what they actually have is uneven pad transfer on said rotors. This gives them high spots and the brake pedal pulsation people mistake for warping. Alas, that is a whole other rant but example of the shade tree misconceptions that have been ingrained in people so others can make money.

Last edited:

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True to a point but does not take into consideration outgassing (various pad “ingredients“ cook off at certain temperatures), pad transfer etc. Fade ABSOLUTELY can be reduced with pad compound selection.

While I agree with that for the most part, I’d also say that the Raptor already comes with a fairly high performance pad from the factory and that there are very few aftermarket options that are a “true”
upgrade from an otherwise excellent factory option.

The Ferodo pad you mentioned is one of them, but then again, look at who is making it. Brembo usually sets the standard for braking systems. I see a lot of these companies marketing their pads as an upgrade *cough* Hawk *cough* and it’s simply not true, unless you are going to a dedicated track pad for track work.

This would be a different story if we were talking about a souped up econobox car, or an MX-5 where the OEM pad is built to a cheaper price point and purpose, but we’re not.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use EBC yellow stuff with EBC USR rotors. I have them on my Jeep, wife's Audi Q7, and on the rear of Raptor (fronts haven't worn out yet). The rotors last great, resist warp and the pads have noticably better bite than others, like Wagner (which I always used in the past, and the EBCs blew me away when I first switched).