Bought a tuned truck from a dealer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Yep, the fact that you have an Accessport is a good thing!

I can now help you with a tune and you can enjoy the benefits of a transmission that shifts well and some added power.
Would you be able to tell if the current tune is a custom tune? The transmission shifts super smooth

-again, I'm not too concerned about the drivability or the way the truck performs, I am mainly concerned about getting stuck with a high repair cost if anything were to ever fail when thats exactly why I bought the extended warranty

dont get me wrong, I would love to have the truck perform at its best, I'm just trying to cover my ass here

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would you be able to tell if the current tune is a custom tune? The transmission shifts super smooth

-again, I'm not too concerned about the drivability or the way the truck performs, I am mainly concerned about getting stuck with a high repair cost if anything were to ever fail when thats exactly why I bought the extended warranty

dont get me wrong, I would love to have the truck perform at its best, I'm just trying to cover my ass here

Yes. Send me a text message please.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Well if you're going to tell them, tell them now.

"Hey I found this gadget in the truck and it appears to be a tune of some sort. I don't want to be held liable for this if it brings troubles to the vehicle, what can we do?"

Otherwise I'll get my lawyer to call you in the morning.
I sent them an email as soon as I found out 4 days after my purchase and never got a email or text response. I'm thinking of doing exactly that, I just wish I knew exactly when the tune got uploaded so I can have solid evidence it wasn't me who installed it...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Because I don't want to have issues with the warranty if anything were to ever give out...

I got the reaming of the 5/60k power train warranty, I also bought extended warranty with them...
Unfortunately, no you don’t. The factory powertrain warranty is pretty much gone. The tunes generally add pretty significant power to the truck, and are capable of adding more torque than the transmission is even rated for. Hell, a decent tuned 3.5TT can put more torque to the wheels than the transmission is rated for at the crankshaft!

So, if you break pretty much any related hard part or suffer some kind of powertrain mechanical issue other than something simple like phasers, as soon as they find the tune, they’ll deny warranty coverage.
What's nice about the situation is that THEY sold it to you tuned, and they also sold it you warrantied. So as long as they know about it, they need to honor that with the device in place/as sold.
While that’s a nice sentiment, the dealer would end up eating any cost for repairs under this scenario because the factory warranty is compromised. The dealer is not going to eat a multi-thousand dollar repair; they’ll stop work and go to dealership management who will likely call the customer back and try to weasel out.

while they may have some contractual obligations violated but OP had best take a very close look at whatever warranty coverage was purchased, particularly the fine print. I’ll bet deviations from factory configuration aren’t covered.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no you don’t. The factory powertrain warranty is pretty much gone. The tunes generally add pretty significant power to the truck, and are capable of adding more torque than the transmission is even rated for. Hell, a decent tuned 3.5TT can put more torque to the wheels than the transmission is rated for at the crankshaft!

So, if you break pretty much any related hard part or suffer some kind of powertrain mechanical issue other than something simple like phasers, as soon as they find the tune, they’ll deny warranty coverage.

While that’s a nice sentiment, the dealer would end up eating any cost for repairs under this scenario because the factory warranty is compromised. The dealer is not going to eat a multi-thousand dollar repair; they’ll stop work and go to dealership management who will likely call the customer back and try to weasel out.

while they may have some contractual obligations violated but OP had best take a very close look at whatever warranty coverage was purchased, particularly the fine print. I’ll bet deviations from factory configuration aren’t covered.
Yeah exactly, that's why I'm in between reverting back to the OEM tune but at the same time I do not want to take the "liability" for tampering with it

I have no complaints about the truck or how it drives, it drives really smooth, shifts like butter and it is responsive

IDK, just an iffy situation here and not sure exactly what to do

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I have a similar situation as the OP. My truck came with a tune controller in the glove box, but I have never screwed around with it in the 2 years that I've had the truck. Love the truck the way it is, but lately curious if any settings can be modified to get better gas mileage, etc. I'm not confident about messing with it, don't want to screw anything up. I will post a pic of the controller later. Not sure who did the tune or if that can be determined by the controller. I assume it plugs into OBD port.